Old 26-02-2003, 01:39 AM
The David Clowder

Default What can turtles eat?!

While water turtles (specifically red-eared sliders) are said to eat greens, my two
adult RES didn't read the book. They will occasionally munch on pond plants but
normally prefer just destroying. They far prefer their commercial turtle chow and
the occasional goldfish fry. If I throw a piece of spinach, etc. in, I usually end
up fishing it out the next day.

Also, RES have to be in water to swallow (their tongues aren't mobile -- in fact it
looks almost like they have no tongue). I don't know if they'd much on land greens.

Gabrielle

MISSYMAGICGIRL wrote:
I just wanted to know can turtles eat grass. I was thinking if I do get turtles
for my pond I would grow some grass and a letturce plant or two; in the area
where their ramp leads. Any ideas??

Thanks,

Sacha