Old 23-02-2003, 08:17 PM
MISSYMAGICGIRL

Default What can turtles eat?!

I just wanted to know can turtles eat grass. I was thinking if I do get turtles
for my pond I would grow some grass and a letturce plant or two; in the area
where their ramp leads. Any ideas??

Thanks,

Sacha
Old 25-02-2003, 02:27 PM
Sam Hopkins

Go to the pet store and buy turtle pellets. They dont eat grass and lettuce
wont give them what they need.

Imagine, could you live off of lettuce?

Old 25-02-2003, 07:19 PM
Cleveland Ponder

Turtles will eat spinach, dandelion greens, various kinds of melon
when provided and many pond plants. They will also eat fish food.
You can buy turtle sticks at some pet stores. They will also eat
small fish when they can catch them. I would think for what you are
considering, the spinach and dandelions would be the easiest to grow.

Old 26-02-2003, 01:39 AM
The David Clowder

While water turtles (specifically red-eared sliders) are said to eat greens, my two
adult RES didn't read the book. They will occasionally munch on pond plants but
normally prefer just destroying. They far prefer their commercial turtle chow and
the occasional goldfish fry. If I throw a piece of spinach, etc. in, I usually end
up fishing it out the next day.

Also, RES have to be in water to swallow (their tongues aren't mobile -- in fact it
looks almost like they have no tongue). I don't know if they'd much on land greens.

Gabrielle

Old 26-02-2003, 03:03 AM
MISSYMAGICGIRL

Thanks for all the responses!

Maybe what I'll do is in their little area I put pebbles for them to bask on
and then a piece of river stone laying half in and half out of the water for
them to climb out of the pond and hopefully they won't have a problem using it.

Thanks,

Sacha