Old 01-03-2011, 07:20 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Edward Edward is offline

Default Strawberry weeding advice

Hi!
It's just a rectangular area immediately outside the patio door.. It's
just mostly filled with a mix or strawberries & 1 1/2' tall dead,
brown grass...which does come out easily. It's just completely
encompassing the strawberry plants. Our latest Pacific storm has
resulted in temps down to around 32 deg. F. or a few degrees below, at
night.
The reason I asked about the mowing is that we also have a small red
raspberry patch which seems to thrive on being cut back severely every
couple of years in wintertime. I was just curious if the strawberries
might respond the same way.
It looks like there isn't any easy way out of the weeding. LOL.
Thanks!