Old 01-03-2011, 01:51 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Strawberry weeding advice

Hi!
We have a small garden (approx. 10' x 20') in our back yard with some
strawberries in it. I'm in Southern California, and right now it's a
combination of weeds, dead grass, and green strawberry plants.
My question is, can I mow that area & not kill the strawberries?
Mowing is the easiest way to clear it out, but keeping those plants
healthy enough to produce fruit is of paramount importance. If it'll
harm them, we'll just have to dig in there & pull weeds.
Another complicating factor is that we've been experiencing a cold
snap (freezing at night) recently here in SoCal, so I'm wondering if
the tall grass is helping them withstand that. If so, I'll probably
leave the plants alone for a few weeks.
Thanks in advance.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:07 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Edward wrote:
Hi!
We have a small garden (approx. 10' x 20') in our back yard with some
strawberries in it. I'm in Southern California, and right now it's a
combination of weeds, dead grass, and green strawberry plants.
My question is, can I mow that area & not kill the strawberries?

If it doesn't kill them it will set them back and the grass and weeds will
just spring up again, probably quicker than the strawberries. What is your
long term plan for the area?

Mowing is the easiest way to clear it out, but keeping those plants
healthy enough to produce fruit is of paramount importance. If it'll
harm them, we'll just have to dig in there & pull weeds.

Another possibility is to create a strawberry bed and transfer them all to
it then you can deal with the rest however you like. Wait until the last
frost when the strawbs will start to grow.

Another complicating factor is that we've been experiencing a cold
snap (freezing at night) recently here in SoCal, so I'm wondering if
the tall grass is helping them withstand that. If so, I'll probably
leave the plants alone for a few weeks.
Thanks in advance.

Strawberries will certainly stand a hard frost, how cold does it get
overnight?

David

Old 01-03-2011, 07:20 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Hi!
It's just a rectangular area immediately outside the patio door.. It's
just mostly filled with a mix or strawberries & 1 1/2' tall dead,
brown grass...which does come out easily. It's just completely
encompassing the strawberry plants. Our latest Pacific storm has
resulted in temps down to around 32 deg. F. or a few degrees below, at
night.
The reason I asked about the mowing is that we also have a small red
raspberry patch which seems to thrive on being cut back severely every
couple of years in wintertime. I was just curious if the strawberries
might respond the same way.
It looks like there isn't any easy way out of the weeding. LOL.
Thanks!
Old 01-03-2011, 05:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Feb 28, 11:20*pm, Edward wrote:
Hi!
It's just a rectangular area immediately outside the patio door.. It's
just mostly filled with a mix or strawberries & 1 1/2' tall dead,
brown grass...which does come out easily. It's just completely
encompassing the strawberry plants. It looks like there isn't any easy way out of the weeding. LOL.
Thanks!

Freak storm path for you guys, it should pass soon and your berries
should be fine. Cane berries do well kept back, strawberries will
depend on variety, climate, etc.

http://strawberryplants.org/2010/05/...wberry-plants/

http://www.mastergardeners.org/picks...awberries.html

Old 01-03-2011, 06:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 23:20:29 -0800, Edward wrote:

Hi!
It's just a rectangular area immediately outside the patio door.. It's
just mostly filled with a mix or strawberries & 1 1/2' tall dead, brown
grass...which does come out easily. It's just completely encompassing
the strawberry plants. Our latest Pacific storm has resulted in temps
down to around 32 deg. F. or a few degrees below, at night.
The reason I asked about the mowing is that we also have a small red
raspberry patch which seems to thrive on being cut back severely every
couple of years in wintertime. I was just curious if the strawberries
might respond the same way.
It looks like there isn't any easy way out of the weeding. LOL. Thanks!

I live in socal. The cold snaps may ruin a couple of fruits, but the plants
are hardy. Worst that will happen is the leaves will die, and new ones will
come up soon. I would recommend removing all the grass. Put out some straw
for the berries to lay on to keep them from bugs and slugs.
I found if the berries touch the dirt, the next day they have holes
in them from bug damage.

Strawberry plant weeding Edward Lawns 6 03-03-2011 07:59 PM
weeding advice KLB79 Gardening 4 17-05-2009 02:15 PM
Robot to your weeding? Drakanthus United Kingdom 1 04-05-2003 01:08 PM
Newbie Weeding question DDEckerslyke United Kingdom 16 27-04-2003 08:21 PM
Chemical weeding arround young trees John Towill United Kingdom 2 26-02-2003 09:15 PM