Old 20-04-2003, 06:17 AM
Eric Schreiber

Default Hagen diffuser report

I purchased a Hagen Natural Plant System CO2 diffuser/bubble counter a
few days ago, to attach to my DIY system.

I didn't really figure it would be an improvement over the simple bell
I had been using - I mostly got it because I thought it was kind of
cool, with the bubbles zig-zagging up through the diffuser.

I was surprised to find that you can actually see this thing working,
and I don't mean just the movement of the CO2 bubbles through the
diffuser. You can actually see the bubbles *shrink* as they travel to
the top of the path.

When the bubbles enter the diffuser, they are perhaps 5mm in diameter
(eye-balling it), and start moving along the track pretty fast. By the
time the bubbles reach the top, they've shrunk to as small as 2mm, and
are moving much more slowly.

It's very obvious that the CO2 must be dissolving into the water. If
anyone was debating if they should get one of these diffusers, I'd
certainly recommend it.

--
www.ericschreiber.com