Old 09-03-2011, 01:55 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default Best tomato ever

In article ,
The Cook wrote:

On Tue, 8 Mar 2011 14:44:58 -0500, "Steve Peek" wrote:

"General Schvantzkoph" wrote in message
There is already a tomato thread going but it's broadly focused. On this
thread I'm asking what's your single favorite tomato variety. My candidate
is the Sun Gold Cherry, incredibly sweet and a terrific producer.

If I could only plant one variety it would be Cherokee Purple. Excellent
flavor & good producer.

If my only uses for tomatoes were for sandwiches and salads I would
agree. But my main uses are for sauces which I can and I can't quite
see Cherokee Purple for that.

Any problems with BER on your sauce tomatoes? Only paste tomato that
ever gave me BER problems was San Marzano. It was on drip irrigation.
Never made any sense to me. There was a half dozen. Once I realized the
problem I'd cut off the rotten end, when practical, and cook the rest.
--
http://www.democracynow.org/blog/2011/3/7/michael_moore
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyE5wjc4XOw