Old 08-03-2011, 06:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Best tomato ever

There is already a tomato thread going but it's broadly focused. On this
thread I'm asking what's your single favorite tomato variety. My candidate
is the Sun Gold Cherry, incredibly sweet and a terrific producer.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
General Schvantzkoph wrote:

There is already a tomato thread going but it's broadly focused. On this
thread I'm asking what's your single favorite tomato variety. My candidate
is the Sun Gold Cherry, incredibly sweet and a terrific producer.

I love Pineapple. Red and yellow bi-color. Big for slicing, sweet and
not too acidic.

marcella
Old 08-03-2011, 07:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"General Schvantzkoph" wrote in message
There is already a tomato thread going but it's broadly focused. On this
thread I'm asking what's your single favorite tomato variety. My candidate
is the Sun Gold Cherry, incredibly sweet and a terrific producer.

If I could only plant one variety it would be Cherokee Purple. Excellent
flavor & good producer.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Tue, 8 Mar 2011 14:44:58 -0500, "Steve Peek" wrote:

"General Schvantzkoph" wrote in message
There is already a tomato thread going but it's broadly focused. On this
thread I'm asking what's your single favorite tomato variety. My candidate
is the Sun Gold Cherry, incredibly sweet and a terrific producer.

If I could only plant one variety it would be Cherokee Purple. Excellent
flavor & good producer.

If my only uses for tomatoes were for sandwiches and salads I would
agree. But my main uses are for sauces which I can and I can't quite
see Cherokee Purple for that.
--
USA
North Carolina Foothills
Old 09-03-2011, 12:44 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

The Cook wrote:
On Tue, 8 Mar 2011 14:44:58 -0500, "Steve Peek" wrote:

"General Schvantzkoph" wrote in message
There is already a tomato thread going but it's broadly focused. On this
thread I'm asking what's your single favorite tomato variety. My candidate
is the Sun Gold Cherry, incredibly sweet and a terrific producer.

If I could only plant one variety it would be Cherokee Purple. Excellent
flavor & good producer.

If my only uses for tomatoes were for sandwiches and salads I would
agree. But my main uses are for sauces which I can and I can't quite
see Cherokee Purple for that.

For me it would be the "Bonny Best". Good all purpose medium size round
tomato: for fresh eating, canning and making sauce. Not perfect for each
category, but can work in every category for tomato uses.

Old 09-03-2011, 01:55 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
The Cook wrote:

On Tue, 8 Mar 2011 14:44:58 -0500, "Steve Peek" wrote:

"General Schvantzkoph" wrote in message
There is already a tomato thread going but it's broadly focused. On this
thread I'm asking what's your single favorite tomato variety. My candidate
is the Sun Gold Cherry, incredibly sweet and a terrific producer.

If I could only plant one variety it would be Cherokee Purple. Excellent
flavor & good producer.

If my only uses for tomatoes were for sandwiches and salads I would
agree. But my main uses are for sauces which I can and I can't quite
see Cherokee Purple for that.

Any problems with BER on your sauce tomatoes? Only paste tomato that
ever gave me BER problems was San Marzano. It was on drip irrigation.
Never made any sense to me. There was a half dozen. Once I realized the
problem I'd cut off the rotten end, when practical, and cook the rest.
--
http://www.democracynow.org/blog/2011/3/7/michael_moore
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyE5wjc4XOw

Old 09-03-2011, 04:24 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"The Cook" wrote in message
On Tue, 8 Mar 2011 14:44:58 -0500, "Steve Peek" wrote:

"General Schvantzkoph" wrote in message
There is already a tomato thread going but it's broadly focused. On this
thread I'm asking what's your single favorite tomato variety. My
candidate
is the Sun Gold Cherry, incredibly sweet and a terrific producer.

If I could only plant one variety it would be Cherokee Purple. Excellent
flavor & good producer.

If my only uses for tomatoes were for sandwiches and salads I would
agree. But my main uses are for sauces which I can and I can't quite
see Cherokee Purple for that.

That's why I nominated Grosse Lisse. It's one of those old fashioned one's
that works for sauces or for salads.

Old 09-03-2011, 01:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

General Schvantzkoph said:

There is already a tomato thread going but it's broadly focused. On this
thread I'm asking what's your single favorite tomato variety. My candidate
is the Sun Gold Cherry, incredibly sweet and a terrific producer.

I'm partial to it's sibling, SunSugar. Same orange color, very similar
in taste, and a bit less likely to split while on the vine.

I thought I hated cherry tomatoes until these showed up.

Favorite ox-heart (very meaty type of tomato): Kosovo

Favorite yellow: Aunt Gertie's Gold, with Persimmon a close second

Lovely to look at (and still good to eat): Royesta. Has been very
reliable for me. You want to give someone a beautiful tomato, this
one is it.

I've tried a lot of tomato varieties, and will keep trying others, but
these are real keepers. There are others I've liked a lot that were
less reliable or had some major flaws. (Green zebra and blossom
end rot, I'm looking at you!)

As for paste tomatoes, one I used grow regularly doesn't appear to
be in any of my preferred catalogs anymore (LaRossa). I prefer
determinates, for the concentrated harvest.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

nutrients..." --Largo Potter, Valkyria Chronicles

email valid but not regularly monitored

Old 10-03-2011, 05:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

General Schvantzkoph wrote:
There is already a tomato thread going but it's broadly focused. On this
thread I'm asking what's your single favorite tomato variety. My candidate
is the Sun Gold Cherry, incredibly sweet and a terrific producer.

Better Boy. I wish the best variety was some exotic or interesting
heirloom, but it's not, it's a modern hybrid.

-Bob

Old 14-03-2011, 05:06 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
General Schvantzkoph wrote:
There is already a tomato thread going but it's broadly focused. On this
thread I'm asking what's your single favorite tomato variety. My
candidate is the Sun Gold Cherry, incredibly sweet and a terrific
producer.

Better Boy. I wish the best variety was some exotic or interesting
heirloom, but it's not, it's a modern hybrid.

-Bob

I hate to say this, But I like any kind of cherry or grape tomato. No muss
no fuss, Pick and eat. Or put in a salad. and I did cut them in half for a
mayo sandwich. Last year. Around here they are about $3.99 a pint. I
planted some hillbilly tomatoes last summer. They were ok. And once apon a
time I loved those neon green zebra tomatoes. Breaded and fried in a pan
..

If it wasn't for the fact that I don't eat those grilled outside homemade
giant cheeseburgers anymore.With lettuce , tomato and ketchup and mustard
Or BLTs. Id want a big slicer.

Jesus you guys made me hungry.

Diesel.

What is the best gardening-related gift you've ever received? (or wish you had)? Mayners67 Gardening 10 19-05-2012 09:56 PM
BEST PLANT EVER Hunky Farrel Gardening 6 21-11-2011 09:41 PM
Best Year ever for Toms and Peppers despite the weather ?? vegmandan Edible Gardening 0 17-10-2008 12:20 AM
Best Lawn I ever had Bookworm United Kingdom 3 02-09-2007 12:49 PM
Tomato cages ( was Best place to buy tomato plants, etc.) Karen Texas 7 11-03-2003 02:09 PM