Old 09-03-2011, 04:24 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default Best tomato ever

"The Cook" wrote in message
On Tue, 8 Mar 2011 14:44:58 -0500, "Steve Peek" wrote:

"General Schvantzkoph" wrote in message
There is already a tomato thread going but it's broadly focused. On this
thread I'm asking what's your single favorite tomato variety. My
candidate
is the Sun Gold Cherry, incredibly sweet and a terrific producer.

If I could only plant one variety it would be Cherokee Purple. Excellent
flavor & good producer.

If my only uses for tomatoes were for sandwiches and salads I would
agree. But my main uses are for sauces which I can and I can't quite
see Cherokee Purple for that.

That's why I nominated Grosse Lisse. It's one of those old fashioned one's
that works for sauces or for salads.