Old 12-03-2011, 06:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Musa Basjoo (Banana tree) dead?

"Kingtonjames" wrote

Just wondering if someone could answer my following question?

With a mixture of work and i guess laziness, i failed to protect my musa
basjoo over the winter (as i thought they where hardy to -14C and
wouldnt need to worry), anyway long story short, the stem is dead and
gone.

Now are the roots dead and therefore ill have to purchase some more or
will they grow back? Is this also applicable for some Canna Tropicanas i
planted?

Ive got some 'Red Hot pokers' in the garden as well but they seem to
come back each year - didnt know i had them until the bloomed as the
previous owner of my house planted them.

Last winter saw off my Musa/Musella lasiocarpa that is supposed to be
hardier than M basjoo so I would think there is very little chance it will
come back. Same with the cannas, ours all died last winter (2009/2010)
despite being planted deep and under the protection of a wall.
Thanks to Hill House Nursery I shall be trying the hardier Hedychiums now to
see if they do better.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden