Old 12-03-2011, 11:50 AM
Registered User

Default Musa Basjoo (Banana tree) dead?

Hello all,

Just wondering if someone could answer my following question?

With a mixture of work and i guess laziness, i failed to protect my musa basjoo over the winter (as i thought they where hardy to -14C and wouldnt need to worry), anyway long story short, the stem is dead and gone.

Now are the roots dead and therefore ill have to purchase some more or will they grow back? Is this also applicable for some Canna Tropicanas i planted?

Ive got some 'Red Hot pokers' in the garden as well but they seem to come back each year - didnt know i had them until the bloomed as the previous owner of my house planted them.

Thanks

James
Old 12-03-2011, 06:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kingtonjames" wrote

Just wondering if someone could answer my following question?

With a mixture of work and i guess laziness, i failed to protect my musa
basjoo over the winter (as i thought they where hardy to -14C and
wouldnt need to worry), anyway long story short, the stem is dead and
gone.

Now are the roots dead and therefore ill have to purchase some more or
will they grow back? Is this also applicable for some Canna Tropicanas i
planted?

Ive got some 'Red Hot pokers' in the garden as well but they seem to
come back each year - didnt know i had them until the bloomed as the
previous owner of my house planted them.

Last winter saw off my Musa/Musella lasiocarpa that is supposed to be
hardier than M basjoo so I would think there is very little chance it will
come back. Same with the cannas, ours all died last winter (2009/2010)
despite being planted deep and under the protection of a wall.
Thanks to Hill House Nursery I shall be trying the hardier Hedychiums now to
see if they do better.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 14-03-2011, 09:47 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtonjames View Post
i failed to protect my musa basjoo over the winter (as i thought they where hardy to -14C and wouldnt need to worry), anyway long story short, the stem is dead and gone.
The stem would die back on much more modest cold than that. They do have a reputation for growing back from the roots. But, as Bob suggests, it may not have survived, so its wait-and-see time.
Old 14-03-2011, 10:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 12, 11:50*am, Kingtonjames Kingtonjames.
wrote:
Hello all,

Just wondering if someone could answer my following question?

With a mixture of work and i guess laziness, i failed to protect my musa
basjoo over the winter (as i thought they where hardy to -14C and
wouldnt need to worry), anyway long story short, the stem is dead and
gone.

Now are the roots dead and therefore ill have to purchase some more or
will they grow back? Is this also applicable for some Canna Tropicanas i
planted?

Ive got some 'Red Hot pokers' in the garden as well but they seem to
come back each year - didnt know i had them until the bloomed as the
previous owner of my house planted them.

Thanks

James

--
Kingtonjames

Same happened to my potted ones last year. I cut the dead stem off and
left it and two new shoots appeared in early summer. I carefully cut
these off with some root attached and made two more plants, (which
have now died) My advice is to leave them for a while yet.

Terry
Old 16-03-2011, 04:18 PM
Registered User

Hello,

Thanks for the response, have decided to leave well alone as my 'Fire Crackers' have started to shoot it looks like, so in my laymans theory, if the non-hardy plants can regrow then so can the Musas - as you can tell im not a gardener by any means

Again thanks for the responses and next winter ill have to figure something out if needs be.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:29 AM
Registered User

Hello people,

Thought id report back - well my trees from last year are dead and gone (though less hardy and as tropical plants survived and bloomed bit odd but...)

Anyway, ended up buying some more and rather than plant them in the ground i thought id plant them in 'bins' so i can move around as required and bring in over the winter - long story short, ive started to get shoots
http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...397 114_n.jpg

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...83 2749_n.jpg

My question is; am i able to 'dig' up the new shoots and replant into seperate pots or are they entwined with the main tree and if i remove them, end up damaging it?

As you can see, im no gardener

Thanks

Indoor Musa basjoo... Haaalp! Les Hemmings[_4_] United Kingdom 6 25-05-2009 11:03 PM
Rotten Musa Basjoo keith kent United Kingdom 8 03-03-2008 02:34 PM
Overwintering Musa Basjoo? Les Hemmings United Kingdom 5 03-10-2007 07:09 PM
Musa Basjoo p.k. United Kingdom 0 09-11-2005 04:16 PM
Musa basjoo - overwintering D Russell United Kingdom 0 14-05-2004 03:13 PM