Old 13-03-2011, 09:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default Advice please?

On Sun, 13 Mar 2011 20:15:33 -0000, "sheila"
wrote:

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
ET...
In article ,
says...
We have just bought a 5' Golden Curl Willow (twisted willow) as they are
shallow rooted, what distance away from the house would you advise?
Thanks.

Its not so much the house but the drains, both yours and your neighbours,
about half a mile should do it :~)
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Ha ha, in fact we have an underground stream that runs underneath our
garden, which is a pain when it rains, it floods a favourite border, so I'm
hoping the 40 gallons a week it would need if we were to let it grow full
size would help us, but we don't intend to let it grow higher than the 8ft
Rhododendrons that grow on the border.

Whilst Salix Erythroflexuosa (what a mouthful but I like it) can be
kept in check above ground by pruning, this does not mean that what's
below ground is similarly restricted. Indeed, keeping something
contrained above ground can accelerate growth below ground.

If you have an underground stream, it is presumably running along an
established underground watercourse. I would be very worried about the
prospect of roots disturbing that establishment leading to a risk of
exacerbating your current occasional flooding problem. And whilst the
roots will grow, as the tree sees it, to compensate for the loss of
growth upstairs, the moisture uptake will be reduced as there is
nowhere for it to go.

You asked for advice and Charlie, with a bit of humour, gave you some
that is very sensible.