Old 12-03-2011, 09:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Advice please?

We have just bought a 5' Golden Curl Willow (twisted willow) as they are
shallow rooted, what distance away from the house would you advise? Thanks.

Old 12-03-2011, 11:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...
We have just bought a 5' Golden Curl Willow (twisted willow) as they are
shallow rooted, what distance away from the house would you advise? Thanks.

Its not so much the house but the drains, both yours and your neighbours,
about half a mile should do it :~)
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 13-03-2011, 08:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
T...
In article ,
says...
We have just bought a 5' Golden Curl Willow (twisted willow) as they are
shallow rooted, what distance away from the house would you advise?
Thanks.

Its not so much the house but the drains, both yours and your neighbours,
about half a mile should do it :~)
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Lapageria rosea

Ha ha, in fact we have an underground stream that runs underneath our
garden, which is a pain when it rains, it floods a favourite border, so I'm
hoping the 40 gallons a week it would need if we were to let it grow full
size would help us, but we don't intend to let it grow higher than the 8ft
Rhododendrons that grow on the border.

Old 13-03-2011, 09:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 13 Mar 2011 20:15:33 -0000, "sheila"
wrote:

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
ET...
In article ,
says...
We have just bought a 5' Golden Curl Willow (twisted willow) as they are
shallow rooted, what distance away from the house would you advise?
Thanks.

Its not so much the house but the drains, both yours and your neighbours,
about half a mile should do it :~)
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Lapageria rosea

Ha ha, in fact we have an underground stream that runs underneath our
garden, which is a pain when it rains, it floods a favourite border, so I'm
hoping the 40 gallons a week it would need if we were to let it grow full
size would help us, but we don't intend to let it grow higher than the 8ft
Rhododendrons that grow on the border.

Whilst Salix Erythroflexuosa (what a mouthful but I like it) can be
kept in check above ground by pruning, this does not mean that what's
below ground is similarly restricted. Indeed, keeping something
contrained above ground can accelerate growth below ground.

If you have an underground stream, it is presumably running along an
established underground watercourse. I would be very worried about the
prospect of roots disturbing that establishment leading to a risk of
exacerbating your current occasional flooding problem. And whilst the
roots will grow, as the tree sees it, to compensate for the loss of
growth upstairs, the moisture uptake will be reduced as there is
nowhere for it to go.

You asked for advice and Charlie, with a bit of humour, gave you some
that is very sensible.
Old 13-03-2011, 11:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

[...]

However much you limit the size of the tree above ground will make no
difference to the size and reach of its roots. Your "underground stream"
must run through some kind of channel or pipe; in your shoes I would
certainly not risk letting whatever-it-is get blocked with willow roots.

Janet.

Old 14-03-2011, 01:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

[...]

I already have a Silver Birch, and a Copper Beech which will be next to it,
but really mature and full size, is the Willow more invasive than those two?

Old 14-03-2011, 04:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

"Janet" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

[...]

Its roots are, yes. Because the beech and birch already have well
established root systems sucking up water, the willow is even more likely
to head straight for the underground water supply. (Willows like and can
live with their roots right in water, beech and birch don't.)

Janet

Janet
Old 15-03-2011, 12:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
T...
In article ,
says...
We have just bought a 5' Golden Curl Willow (twisted willow) as they
are
shallow rooted, what distance away from the house would you advise?
Thanks.

Its not so much the house but the drains, both yours and your
neighbours,
about half a mile should do it :~)
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Your "underground stream"
must run through some kind of channel or pipe; in your shoes
Janet.

Hi Janet, thank goodness for punctuation :-}

When I first read the above , I read it as ".......kind.of channel or pipe
in your shoes."

I thought - how strange :-}

I must change the resolution on my monitor!

Bill.....

Old 15-03-2011, 01:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

"Janet" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

[...]

LOL

Janet
Old 15-03-2011, 01:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bill Grey" wrote in message

"Janet" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

[...]

Characteristic of this newsgroup. People 'see' what isn't written!!!!

Mike

Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive