Old 13-03-2011, 11:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Graham Harrison[_2_] Graham Harrison[_2_] is offline

Default Hosepipe circumference?

"chris French" wrote in message
In message , Graham Harrison
writes
I've bought myself a water butt pump to move water between storage points.
The hosepipe I have is from a Hozelock Compact Enclosed Reel and it's a
real struggle to fit it to the pump outlet. I had to remove the O ring
from the pump to get it to go. In the pump kit there is a piece of
piping which seems to be bigger (larger circumference) than the pipe I
have (it runs from the immersed pump up to the fitment I'm trying to
attach to). I've Googled around trying to find out what pipe
circumferences (or should it be diameter or radius?) exist but I'm not
being successful. I'm quite happy to buy a new piece of hose, I just
need to know what to look for. Can anybody help?

Have you makers/model name or a photo of the relevant bit, or can you
describe it?. A direct hosefitting would probably be slightly tapered and
ridge/barbed. If it is threaded it presumably uis meant to take some sort
of fitting?

The mention of an O ring makes me wonder if it is meant to have taken a
pushfit fitting?
--
Chris French

It's one of these

http://www.karcher.co.uk/uk/Products...s/16454530.htm

and the O ring is on the bit at the top where you push the hose on (just
below the yellow splodge which is actually a form of tap)

I'm actually doing OK now. Removing the O ring makes the hose easier to
fit and as it stretches I reckon it will become easier to refit it when I
need to. I'm not trying to fit a hozelock connector to a pushfit - just
shoving the hose of the pushfit!

It's not the fastest beast in the world but it empties a 210 litre butt in
maybe 10/15 minutes depending on whether you're going up/down hill (well,
slight slope) and the length of hose in use - or those seem to be the
criteria based on a little testing this afternoon. I've bought it to move
water from butts that are connected to various gutters to ones that aren't,
and before anyone asks, the position of the unconnected ones makes it
impractical to connect them to the ones that are connected to the gutters.
Plus I'm getting fed up with using buckets/cans to do the job.