Old 10-03-2011, 03:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hosepipe circumference?

I've bought myself a water butt pump to move water between storage points.
The hosepipe I have is from a Hozelock Compact Enclosed Reel and it's a real
struggle to fit it to the pump outlet. I had to remove the O ring from the
pump to get it to go. In the pump kit there is a piece of piping which
seems to be bigger (larger circumference) than the pipe I have (it runs from
the immersed pump up to the fitment I'm trying to attach to). I've Googled
around trying to find out what pipe circumferences (or should it be diameter
or radius?) exist but I'm not being successful. I'm quite happy to buy a
new piece of hose, I just need to know what to look for. Can anybody help?

Old 10-03-2011, 04:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 15:39:12 -0000, "Graham Harrison"
wrote:

I've bought myself a water butt pump to move water between storage points.
The hosepipe I have is from a Hozelock Compact Enclosed Reel and it's a real
struggle to fit it to the pump outlet. I had to remove the O ring from the
pump to get it to go. In the pump kit there is a piece of piping which
seems to be bigger (larger circumference) than the pipe I have (it runs from
the immersed pump up to the fitment I'm trying to attach to). I've Googled
around trying to find out what pipe circumferences (or should it be diameter
or radius?) exist but I'm not being successful. I'm quite happy to buy a
new piece of hose, I just need to know what to look for. Can anybody help?

Generally, hosepipes are sold in 13mm or 19mm internal diameter sizes
though I think Hoselock sell some with an internal diameter of 12mm.
That 1mm could make all the difference with a tight fit. If you're
connecting two things together then the size of the smallest would
generally guide you - if hose is too big it leaks but you can often
stretch something too small to fit something bigger. Try soaking the
end of the pipe in some hot (but not boiling) water for a while and
you may soften it enough to stretch over the larger fitting. This
tends to work better with cheaper hose as the better quality stuff has
a multi layer coating which resists the heat. Otherwise you could try
Vaseline.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

wrote:
[...]

Just a point, if you are going to use ho****er then use a flask as it
will stay hot when you take it outside, and it has a good depth
Old 10-03-2011, 06:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
[...]

================

Thank you gentlemen.

Old 10-03-2011, 06:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

The only trouble with using Vaseline is the fact that if it is used for
'easy on', Vaseline stays and when you don't want it, it's a case of 'easy
off' and a connection will be blown apart when you don't want it. "Harder to
get on" means "Harder to get off"

Any Electronics Engineers who have used Hellerman Oil will appreciate this
comment ;-)

Mike

Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive

Old 13-03-2011, 12:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-03-10 15:39:12 +0000, "Graham Harrison"
said:

I've bought myself a water butt pump to move water between storage
points. The hosepipe I have is from a Hozelock Compact Enclosed Reel
and it's a real struggle to fit it to the pump outlet. I had to
remove the O ring from the pump to get it to go. In the pump kit
there is a piece of piping which seems to be bigger (larger
circumference) than the pipe I have (it runs from the immersed pump up
to the fitment I'm trying to attach to). I've Googled around trying
to find out what pipe circumferences (or should it be diameter or
radius?) exist but I'm not being successful. I'm quite happy to buy a
new piece of hose, I just need to know what to look for. Can anybody
help?

Just wondering if you bothered to read the instructions as they appear
to answer all your questions:

http://www.hozelock.com/uploads/pdf/...0PUMP%20UK.pdf

Old 13-03-2011, 05:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Graham Harrison
writes
I've bought myself a water butt pump to move water between storage
points. The hosepipe I have is from a Hozelock Compact Enclosed Reel
and it's a real struggle to fit it to the pump outlet. I had to
remove the O ring from the pump to get it to go. In the pump kit
there is a piece of piping which seems to be bigger (larger
circumference) than the pipe I have (it runs from the immersed pump up
to the fitment I'm trying to attach to). I've Googled around trying
to find out what pipe circumferences (or should it be diameter or
radius?) exist but I'm not being successful. I'm quite happy to buy a
new piece of hose, I just need to know what to look for. Can anybody help?

Have you makers/model name or a photo of the relevant bit, or can you
describe it?. A direct hosefitting would probably be slightly tapered
and ridge/barbed. If it is threaded it presumably uis meant to take some
sort of fitting?

The mention of an O ring makes me wonder if it is meant to have taken a
pushfit fitting?
--
Chris French

Old 13-03-2011, 08:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

.....or even some washing up liquid.

Bill

Old 13-03-2011, 11:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-03-10 15:39:12 +0000, "Graham Harrison"
said:

I've bought myself a water butt pump to move water between storage
points. The hosepipe I have is from a Hozelock Compact Enclosed Reel and
it's a real struggle to fit it to the pump outlet. I had to remove the
O ring from the pump to get it to go. In the pump kit there is a piece
of piping which seems to be bigger (larger circumference) than the pipe I
have (it runs from the immersed pump up to the fitment I'm trying to
attach to). I've Googled around trying to find out what pipe
circumferences (or should it be diameter or radius?) exist but I'm not
being successful. I'm quite happy to buy a new piece of hose, I just
need to know what to look for. Can anybody help?

Just wondering if you bothered to read the instructions as they appear to
answer all your questions:

http://www.hozelock.com/uploads/pdf/...0PUMP%20UK.pdf

My hose may be Hozelock but the Butt pump isn't.

Old 13-03-2011, 11:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"chris French" wrote in message
In message , Graham Harrison
writes
[...]

It's one of these

http://www.karcher.co.uk/uk/Products...s/16454530.htm

and the O ring is on the bit at the top where you push the hose on (just
below the yellow splodge which is actually a form of tap)

I'm actually doing OK now. Removing the O ring makes the hose easier to
fit and as it stretches I reckon it will become easier to refit it when I
need to. I'm not trying to fit a hozelock connector to a pushfit - just
shoving the hose of the pushfit!

It's not the fastest beast in the world but it empties a 210 litre butt in
maybe 10/15 minutes depending on whether you're going up/down hill (well,
slight slope) and the length of hose in use - or those seem to be the
criteria based on a little testing this afternoon. I've bought it to move
water from butts that are connected to various gutters to ones that aren't,
and before anyone asks, the position of the unconnected ones makes it
impractical to connect them to the ones that are connected to the gutters.
Plus I'm getting fed up with using buckets/cans to do the job.

Old 14-03-2011, 12:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Graham Harrison
writes

"chris French" wrote in message
k...
In message , Graham Harrison
writes
[...]

http://www.karcher.co.uk/uk/Products...rigation_pumps
/Water_butt_pumps/16454530.htm

and the O ring is on the bit at the top where you push the hose on
(just below the yellow splodge which is actually a form of tap)

I'm actually doing OK now. Removing the O ring makes the hose easier
to fit and as it stretches I reckon it will become easier to refit it
when I need to. I'm not trying to fit a hozelock connector to a
pushfit - just shoving the hose of the pushfit!

OK, you've got the product there in your hands, but it that looks like
too me, and the images here seem to confirm that it is designed to take
a standard hose connector. Does one not fit?

http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/2732...0-rainwater-co
llect.html

(Karcher do their own hose and fittings etc. but they all seem to be
standard IME. Certainly the input on my Karcher pressure washer does))

It's not the fastest beast in the world but it empties a 210 litre butt
in maybe 10/15 minutes depending on whether you're going up/down hill
(well, slight slope) and the length of hose in use - or those seem to
be the criteria based on a little testing this afternoon. I've bought
it to move water from butts that are connected to various gutters to
ones that aren't, and before anyone asks, the position of the
unconnected ones makes it impractical to connect them to the ones that
are connected to the gutters. Plus I'm getting fed up with using
buckets/cans to do the job.

For those that can have a hose/pipe run between them and left and are
around the same height and siphon works well. Basically dangle a hose in
one butt (down to near the bottom), prime the siphon - filling the hose
with water by water means works well for your situation. Then put the
other end in another butt. They will keep to the same depth.

It's basically the same as connecting them up at the base, but will work
over any distance, and it is easy to move things around
--
Chris French

Old 14-03-2011, 01:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-03-13 23:11:24 +0000, "Graham Harrison"
said:

[...]

The O ring makes the join watertight so you may now be leaking - which
won't matter much except it may be slowing you down. I reckon buying
British is the safest way to go with tap and any other plumbing
fittings...

Old 14-03-2011, 09:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

(Karcher do their own hose and fittings etc. but they all seem to be
standard IME. Certainly the input on my Karcher pressure washer does))

OK, there's my Homer Simpson moment! I just assumed that what I was
looking at was a connector that I pushed the hose onto. The idea that
Karcher would do their own connector never occurred.

I asked the wrong question, you led me to the right answer. Thank you.

Hosepipe ban Stan The Man United Kingdom 33 23-06-2005 09:31 PM
Hosepipe Maart United Kingdom 5 17-06-2005 06:00 PM
Hosepipe Question Robin McInnes United Kingdom 2 22-05-2005 11:12 AM
Attaching a hosepipe to a tap without it leaking Andy Coleman United Kingdom 6 03-08-2003 12:09 PM
Good quality, reinforced hosepipe? Nath United Kingdom 2 04-03-2003 06:12 PM