Old 14-03-2011, 01:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sheila Sheila is offline

Default Advice please?

"Janet" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
T...
In article ,
says...
We have just bought a 5' Golden Curl Willow (twisted willow) as they
are
shallow rooted, what distance away from the house would you advise?
Thanks.

Its not so much the house but the drains, both yours and your
neighbours,
about half a mile should do it :~)
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Ha ha, in fact we have an underground stream that runs underneath our
garden, which is a pain when it rains, it floods a favourite border, so
I'm
hoping the 40 gallons a week it would need if we were to let it grow full
size would help us, but we don't intend to let it grow higher than the
8ft
Rhododendrons that grow on the border.

However much you limit the size of the tree above ground will make no
difference to the size and reach of its roots. Your "underground stream"
must run through some kind of channel or pipe; in your shoes I would
certainly not risk letting whatever-it-is get blocked with willow roots.

Janet.

I already have a Silver Birch, and a Copper Beech which will be next to it,
but really mature and full size, is the Willow more invasive than those two?