Old 14-03-2011, 01:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Stan The Man Stan The Man is offline

Default Hosepipe circumference?

On 2011-03-13 23:11:24 +0000, "Graham Harrison"
said:

"chris French" wrote in message
In message , Graham Harrison
writes
I've bought myself a water butt pump to move water between storage
points. The hosepipe I have is from a Hozelock Compact Enclosed Reel
and it's a real struggle to fit it to the pump outlet. I had to
remove the O ring from the pump to get it to go. In the pump kit
there is a piece of piping which seems to be bigger (larger
circumference) than the pipe I have (it runs from the immersed pump up
to the fitment I'm trying to attach to). I've Googled around trying
to find out what pipe circumferences (or should it be diameter or
radius?) exist but I'm not being successful. I'm quite happy to buy a
new piece of hose, I just need to know what to look for. Can anybody
help?

Have you makers/model name or a photo of the relevant bit, or can you
describe it?. A direct hosefitting would probably be slightly tapered
and ridge/barbed. If it is threaded it presumably uis meant to take
some sort of fitting?

The mention of an O ring makes me wonder if it is meant to have taken a
pushfit fitting?
--
Chris French

It's one of these

http://www.karcher.co.uk/uk/Products...s/16454530.htm

and

the O ring is on the bit at the top where you push the hose on (just
below the yellow splodge which is actually a form of tap)

I'm actually doing OK now. Removing the O ring makes the hose easier
to fit and as it stretches I reckon it will become easier to refit it
when I need to. I'm not trying to fit a hozelock connector to a
pushfit - just shoving the hose of the pushfit!

It's not the fastest beast in the world but it empties a 210 litre butt
in maybe 10/15 minutes depending on whether you're going up/down hill
(well, slight slope) and the length of hose in use - or those seem to
be the criteria based on a little testing this afternoon. I've bought
it to move water from butts that are connected to various gutters to
ones that aren't, and before anyone asks, the position of the
unconnected ones makes it impractical to connect them to the ones that
are connected to the gutters. Plus I'm getting fed up with using
buckets/cans to do the job.

The O ring makes the join watertight so you may now be leaking - which
won't matter much except it may be slowing you down. I reckon buying
British is the safest way to go with tap and any other plumbing
fittings...