Old 16-03-2011, 12:20 PM
Jennings's Avatar
Jennings Jennings is offline
Registered User

Location: Ellesmere Port, UK
Default Danger! Noob alert.

Hi Guys,

My name is Jennings, I am 40-odd years old and I am a gardening noob. I have never been interested in gardening. I have always seen it as the dwelling place for the clinically dull.

However that changed when I recently moved into a new house. What changed? Well either gardening became fascinating or I became dull. Either way suits me.

The house has quite a large front garden and a medium sized back garden. The back garden was a mess. Well...I mean, it was nicely designed - but terribly overgrown.

I decided to do the bare minimum to make it look reasonable. I found that with some effort clearing rotten wood and ivy there was a really cool patio underneath. And I could improve the patio with some simple 'patio magic'. I pruned back some shrubs with crazy latin names, so they weren't growing into each other. I soon learned about 'thinning cuts' and 'bearing cuts' and soon people were saying - ooh your garden looks better.

So now I enjoy my garden. Maybe I will get bored in the next few weeks - or maybe I will stick with it. Who knows? But for now it is rewarding and enoyable.

I really want to grow a topiary of some description - you know a little tree in the shape of a ball (not everyone's cuppa, I know). I also want my lawn to look nice (currently it is 20% moss!). I also want to make a little patio down the side of the house - so I can use my main patio for BBQs and not storing my huge collection of recycle bins and bags. In the front I have a huge (30M squared rockery - what on earth do I put in there!?) So much to do.

Anyway, I dont have any specific questions for you fellow dullards, but I will lurk a little and learn what I can about the basics.

Thanks for reading,

Jennings