Old 16-03-2011, 12:20 PM
Jennings's Avatar
Registered User

Location: Ellesmere Port, UK
Default Danger! Noob alert.

Hi Guys,

My name is Jennings, I am 40-odd years old and I am a gardening noob. I have never been interested in gardening. I have always seen it as the dwelling place for the clinically dull.

However that changed when I recently moved into a new house. What changed? Well either gardening became fascinating or I became dull. Either way suits me.

The house has quite a large front garden and a medium sized back garden. The back garden was a mess. Well...I mean, it was nicely designed - but terribly overgrown.

I decided to do the bare minimum to make it look reasonable. I found that with some effort clearing rotten wood and ivy there was a really cool patio underneath. And I could improve the patio with some simple 'patio magic'. I pruned back some shrubs with crazy latin names, so they weren't growing into each other. I soon learned about 'thinning cuts' and 'bearing cuts' and soon people were saying - ooh your garden looks better.

So now I enjoy my garden. Maybe I will get bored in the next few weeks - or maybe I will stick with it. Who knows? But for now it is rewarding and enoyable.

I really want to grow a topiary of some description - you know a little tree in the shape of a ball (not everyone's cuppa, I know). I also want my lawn to look nice (currently it is 20% moss!). I also want to make a little patio down the side of the house - so I can use my main patio for BBQs and not storing my huge collection of recycle bins and bags. In the front I have a huge (30M squared rockery - what on earth do I put in there!?) So much to do.

Anyway, I dont have any specific questions for you fellow dullards, but I will lurk a little and learn what I can about the basics.

Thanks for reading,

Jennings
Old 16-03-2011, 05:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
Jennings

It takes years and years to create a topiary tree. You can buy an
expensive lollipop sort of thing. Massive topic, best to buy a book.
PS. Have you got a friend named Derbyshire?
Old 17-03-2011, 07:34 AM
Jennings's Avatar
Registered User

Location: Ellesmere Port, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry View Post
On Mar 16, 12:20*pm, Jennings

It takes years and years to create a topiary tree. You can buy an
expensive lollipop sort of thing. Massive topic, best to buy a book.
PS. Have you got a friend named Derbyshire?
Ahh..thanks Harry. I may buy something to get me started, maybe a lollipop sort of thing.

Yeah, Darbi is my best friend. Although we are both on the warpath with Old-Wlkie. ;-)

Great to see someone who is familiar with the great Jennings books!!
Old 17-03-2011, 09:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/03/2011 12:20, Jennings wrote:
[...]

Nice to see another one joining the sad brigade!

Regarding your topiary question, most people start with a clipped Box
tree. These are usually not too expensive if bought fairly small. But
watch out for Box Blight, which will do any Box tree no good at all.
Further info (with alternatives to Box) he
http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/profile.aspx?pid=96

You don't say how long you've been in your house or where it is. Now
you've tidied the garden up, wait to see what comes up this year.
That's particularly true of the rockery, where there may be many dormant
herbaceous plants and bulbs which will only appear during spring and summer.

If you find that you get interested in rock gardening (ie go up a notch
on the "boring" scale like many of us) you might want to see if there is
an Alpine Garden Society group nearby:
http://www.alpinegardensociety.net/g...-and-contacts/

--

Jeff
Old 17-03-2011, 12:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

On Thu, 17 Mar 2011 07:34:39 +0000, Jennings
wrote:

harry;915098 Wrote:
On Mar 16, 12:20*pm, Jennings

It takes years and years to create a topiary tree. You can buy an
expensive lollipop sort of thing. Massive topic, best to buy a book.
PS. Have you got a friend named Derbyshire?

Ahh..thanks Harry. I may buy something to get me started, maybe a
lollipop sort of thing.

Yeah, Darbi is my best friend. Although we are both on the warpath with
Old-Wlkie. ;-)

Great to see someone who is familiar with the great Jennings books!!

Oh, fish-hooks! Not another one!

--
Mike.

Old 17-03-2011, 04:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 17 Mar 2011 12:00:04 +0000, Mike Lyle
wrote:

On Thu, 17 Mar 2011 07:34:39 +0000, Jennings
wrote:

harry;915098 Wrote:
On Mar 16, 12:20*pm, Jennings

It takes years and years to create a topiary tree. You can buy an
expensive lollipop sort of thing. Massive topic, best to buy a book.
PS. Have you got a friend named Derbyshire?

Ahh..thanks Harry. I may buy something to get me started, maybe a
lollipop sort of thing.

Yeah, Darbi is my best friend. Although we are both on the warpath with
Old-Wlkie. ;-)

Great to see someone who is familiar with the great Jennings books!!

Oh, fish-hooks! Not another one!

To make life easier Sacha may be in a position to sell the OP a box
nicely pruned into the shape of a Buddah soon - she has one but may be
about to replace it with a phallic symbol. ;-))
Jake
Old 17-03-2011, 05:40 PM
Jennings's Avatar
Registered User

Location: Ellesmere Port, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Layman[_2_] View Post
Nice to see another one joining the sad brigade!

Regarding your topiary question, most people start with a clipped Box
tree. These are usually not too expensive if bought fairly small. But
watch out for Box Blight, which will do any Box tree no good at all.
Further info (with alternatives to Box) he
Box blight / RHS Gardening Advice

You don't say how long you've been in your house or where it is. Now
you've tidied the garden up, wait to see what comes up this year.
That's particularly true of the rockery, where there may be many dormant
herbaceous plants and bulbs which will only appear during spring and summer.

If you find that you get interested in rock gardening (ie go up a notch
on the "boring" scale like many of us) you might want to see if there is
an Alpine Garden Society group nearby:
Local Group Venues and Contact Details - Alpine Garden Society

--

Jeff
Great stuff, Jeff. Thanks for that. I had a look at the topiary stuff. I quite fancy the euonymous - I'll see if I can get one.

The rockery was already dug over by the next door neighbour (we share it). I have put down some slate chippings, and planted a couple of shrubs - but I need a lot more in there. I was going to keep the shrubs low, and add some pots (which I will grow seperately) and move them in as they bloom. I guess i need to find stuff that blooms at different times of the year.

Complicated stuff! I thought gardening was simply about mowing, weeding and occasionally shouting at kids in the street for kicking their football too close to my prize roses!
Old 17-03-2011, 05:43 PM
Jennings's Avatar
Registered User

Location: Ellesmere Port, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lyle[_1_] View Post

Oh, fish-hooks! Not another one!

--
Mike.
Haha...I have used the name Jennings on all sorts of places over the interweb - and this is the only place that I have found enlightened people!

I am going to have to retract my 'dullard' remarks if this persists!
Old 17-03-2011, 07:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jennings wrote:
Hi Guys,

also want my lawn to look nice (currently it is 20% moss!).

I love the moss in my lawn! It's shaded & damp so it would be pretty much
impossible to erradicate it but as it is it's cushiony under foot,
especially in bare feet in the summer, cool and soft, but it's also green &
low growing. Perfect!

Why do you want rid of yours?

Old 17-03-2011, 10:09 PM
Jennings's Avatar
Registered User

Location: Ellesmere Port, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Hemmings[_4_] View Post
Jennings wrote:
Hi Guys,

also want my lawn to look nice (currently it is 20% moss!).

I love the moss in my lawn! It's shaded & damp so it would be pretty much
impossible to erradicate it but as it is it's cushiony under foot,
especially in bare feet in the summer, cool and soft, but it's also green &
low growing. Perfect!

Why do you want rid of yours?

It's patchy and uneven and a different shade of green to the grass.

Old 17-03-2011, 10:48 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Layman[_2_] View Post
On 16/03/2011 12:20, Jennings wrote:[color=blue][i]

You don't say how long you've been in your house or where it is.
Ellesmere Port, according to his GB info
__________________
Old 17-03-2011, 10:49 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennings View Post
It's patchy and uneven and a different shade of green to the grass.
Well, there's a simple solution to that one ;-)

(But then I'm not a lawn lover)
__________________
Old 17-03-2011, 11:06 PM
Jennings's Avatar
Registered User

Location: Ellesmere Port, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by kay View Post
Ellesmere Port, according to his GB info
Yeah. Sorry Jeff....missed that question.

In Ellesmere Port. It's near Chester. Moved house about 6 months ago.
Old 19-03-2011, 12:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jennings" wrote in message

;915145']

'Box blight / RHS Gardening Advice' (http://tinyurl.com/6j3r3sm)

(http://tinyurl.com/4qcmzz8)

--

Jeff

Great stuff, Jeff. Thanks for that. I had a look at the topiary stuff. I
quite fancy the euonymous - I'll see if I can get one.

The rockery was already dug over by the next door neighbour (we share
it). I have put down some slate chippings, and planted a couple of
shrubs - but I need a lot more in there. I was going to keep the shrubs
low, and add some pots (which I will grow seperately) and move them in
as they bloom. I guess i need to find stuff that blooms at different
times of the year.

Complicated stuff! I thought gardening was simply about mowing, weeding
and occasionally shouting at kids in the street for kicking their
football too close to my prize roses!

--
Jennings

Beware "Dwarf" Conifers :-)

Bill

Old 19-03-2011, 05:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 19 Mar 2011 12:17:00 -0000, "Bill Grey"
wrote:

"Jennings" wrote in message

'Jeff Layman[_2_ Wrote:
;915145']
[...]

Don't ignore that advice! I've spent a week reducing a "dwarf" conifer
to a stump with a chainsaw and then a day with a hired stump grinder
to get that stump out of the way. I once intervened in a store where
the sales assistant was recommending a leyland cypress to a customer
as a dwarf conifer suitable to for a tub. That's a potentially 75 foot
high "dwarf".

But you've got things in the wrong order. The most frequent gardening
task is shouting at the kids in the street, then weeding, then mowing!
(Some will say stopping cats from killing peregrine falcons is the
most frequent task ;-))) )

I've seen "beginners" topiary stuff around - usually a small potted
box plant with a wire shape around it (rabbit, duck and so on). As the
box grows you simply prune it back to a bit proud of the wire shape
and so learn the skill.

Jake