Old 20-04-2003, 06:17 AM
Bob Alston

Default ROWA Phos: Algae Killer??

Yep, plants do need phosphate. Perhaps that product is indended for people
who only have plastic plants.
I wouldn't try it.

Instead, ottocinculus are great to keep in any planted tank. I have about
6-7 in my 55 gal.
Also, SAEs - simease algae eaters - not chinese algae eaters!!! They eat
algae the ottos won't.
I don't use chinese algae eaters as when the mature they attack fish - like
the angels I keep.
Small plecos can be used in a planted tank but many get too large and wreck
plants when the move.
Lots of people use small shrimps - amano shrimps and even ghost shrimp.
Just make sure you don't have fish that will see them as lunch.
Finally, in an "algae bloom" put in lots of fast growing plants. My
favorite is hornwort. Grows like a weed also. And I read, it puts out
anti-algae chemicals in the water.

Bob

"alex crouvier" wrote in message
Have you guys seen this product which promises to absorb excess phosphate
(don;t we need phosphate for our plants too?) and eradictae algae
effectively. The ads in UK's PRACTICAL FISHKEEPING says the product was
used in Lake Plotzensee in Berlin to combat algae.

Web site: www.d-daquariumsolutions.com