Old 20-04-2003, 06:17 AM
alex crouvier

Default ROWA Phos: Algae Killer??

Have you guys seen this product which promises to absorb excess phosphate
(don;t we need phosphate for our plants too?) and eradictae algae
effectively. The ads in UK's PRACTICAL FISHKEEPING says the product was
used in Lake Plotzensee in Berlin to combat algae.

Web site: www.d-daquariumsolutions.com

Old 20-04-2003, 06:17 AM
Bob Alston

Yep, plants do need phosphate. Perhaps that product is indended for people
who only have plastic plants.
I wouldn't try it.

Instead, ottocinculus are great to keep in any planted tank. I have about
6-7 in my 55 gal.
Also, SAEs - simease algae eaters - not chinese algae eaters!!! They eat
algae the ottos won't.
I don't use chinese algae eaters as when the mature they attack fish - like
the angels I keep.
Small plecos can be used in a planted tank but many get too large and wreck
plants when the move.
Lots of people use small shrimps - amano shrimps and even ghost shrimp.
Just make sure you don't have fish that will see them as lunch.
Finally, in an "algae bloom" put in lots of fast growing plants. My
favorite is hornwort. Grows like a weed also. And I read, it puts out
anti-algae chemicals in the water.

Bob

Old 20-04-2003, 06:17 AM

"alex crouvier" wrote in message ...
Have you guys seen this product which promises to absorb excess phosphate
(don;t we need phosphate for our plants too?) and eradictae algae
effectively. The ads in UK's PRACTICAL FISHKEEPING says the product was
used in Lake Plotzensee in Berlin to combat algae.

Web site: www.d-daquariumsolutions.com

Sure if you have a few 100K's$$ or perhaps a million $$$ to provide
"recreational activities for the lake", eg, nice clear water which is
a "human" attitude on how a lake should be.
You can remove it or try to stop the human impact that causes the PO4

There are few aquatic plants in Germany and the one that are there
live and grow only during a short summer period and the water is cold.

In lakes like this, algae is the main "plant". Each lake is generally
unique and it may be PO4 limited, but many lakes appear to be more
nitrogen limited for example.

I would state that the nice green algae is a sign that the lake is a
very productive habitat for wildlife and should be preserved and made
into a natural reserve.
That has good recreational value all year long(Swimming in a cold lake
is not for everyone nor is done much of the year) and is also much
cheaper and a better nutrient export via plants.

Often it is cheaper to change people's attitudes about algae than
controlling nature.

It may seem odd, but Preservation through conservation, even if a
messed up ecosystem by many people's standard's can really change
things.

Humans messed up this place, actted irresponsibly, then conservation
gets it.
Land values go up in the region, it becomes more multiuse, less
environmental impact. Zooplankton denisties increase and fishing is
the new sport. Can you taste the PO4 in that bass?:-)

Much of the PO4 can be asborbed in productive systems and settle down
if the source of PO4 input, likely humans in this case, is stopped.
But that may be expensive to stop at the source. But banning PO4 soaps
etc is a good step that the USA, Canada did some years ago.
Many lakes in the USA are Nitrogen limited. You'd have to look at the
system in each case to see which are the best options.
An indoor greenhouse plant filter and nursery would be the better
option than Chemical removal IMO. Or conservation and PO4 source
mitagation.

Regards,
Tom Barr