Old 17-03-2011, 01:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Syringa laciniata

"Spider" wrote in message
On 14/03/2011 17:46, Bob Hobden wrote:

"Spider" wrote ...
Does anyone else on this ng know or grow this Cut-leaf Lilac? I have had
mine for several years now and, despite feeding it with high potash food
and, once or twice, starving it in case that helped, there has never
been so much as a flower bud. I know it is capable of flowering because,
in desperation, I've looked on Google Images. That just makes it worse,
because I know how gorgeous it can look :~{

It is now growing in a large pot (it has been potted on over the years
as it's grown, but certainly never over-potted). I could pot it on again
or leave it in it's 15" pot. Maybe restricting the rootball would help?
I would *love* to see it flower (each year preferably), but I'm
beginning to wonder if I'm wasting my time.

Can anyone offer me any advice or hope?
Thank you.

Do you prune it? And if so when?

No, not really, except to snip off damaged ends after winter. It doesn't
seem to need any more pruning than that.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London

Can you grow Lilac in pots?, I ask because I have never tried, but I know
they are famous for large greedy spreading root systems and are one of the
shrubs it is difficult to grow clematis under, so I am wondering whether
perhaps it needs to go in the ground

Gobberts nursery are national collection holders of syringa, I know them
through the rare plant fairs and a look at the rare plant fairs web site
will give you their attendances near you this year. (If in doubt ask an
expert!)
--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs