Old 14-03-2011, 03:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Syringa laciniata

Does anyone else on this ng know or grow this Cut-leaf Lilac? I have
had mine for several years now and, despite feeding it with high potash
food and, once or twice, starving it in case that helped, there has
never been so much as a flower bud. I know it is capable of flowering
because, in desperation, I've looked on Google Images. That just makes
it worse, because I know how gorgeous it can look :~{

It is now growing in a large pot (it has been potted on over the years
as it's grown, but certainly never over-potted). I could pot it on
again or leave it in it's 15" pot. Maybe restricting the rootball would
help? I would *love* to see it flower (each year preferably), but I'm
beginning to wonder if I'm wasting my time.

Can anyone offer me any advice or hope?
Thank you.
--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 14-03-2011, 05:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote ...

Does anyone else on this ng know or grow this Cut-leaf Lilac? I have
had mine for several years now and, despite feeding it with high potash
food and, once or twice, starving it in case that helped, there has
never been so much as a flower bud. I know it is capable of flowering
because, in desperation, I've looked on Google Images. That just makes
it worse, because I know how gorgeous it can look :~{

It is now growing in a large pot (it has been potted on over the years
as it's grown, but certainly never over-potted). I could pot it on
again or leave it in it's 15" pot. Maybe restricting the rootball would
help? I would *love* to see it flower (each year preferably), but I'm
beginning to wonder if I'm wasting my time.

Can anyone offer me any advice or hope?
Thank you.

Do you prune it? And if so when?

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
Old 14-03-2011, 07:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/03/2011 17:46, Bob Hobden wrote:

"Spider" wrote ...
Does anyone else on this ng know or grow this Cut-leaf Lilac? I have had
mine for several years now and, despite feeding it with high potash food
and, once or twice, starving it in case that helped, there has never
been so much as a flower bud. I know it is capable of flowering because,
in desperation, I've looked on Google Images. That just makes it worse,
because I know how gorgeous it can look :~{

It is now growing in a large pot (it has been potted on over the years
as it's grown, but certainly never over-potted). I could pot it on again
or leave it in it's 15" pot. Maybe restricting the rootball would help?
I would *love* to see it flower (each year preferably), but I'm
beginning to wonder if I'm wasting my time.

Can anyone offer me any advice or hope?
Thank you.

Do you prune it? And if so when?

No, not really, except to snip off damaged ends after winter. It
doesn't seem to need any more pruning than that.

Old 17-03-2011, 01:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message
[...]

Can you grow Lilac in pots?, I ask because I have never tried, but I know
they are famous for large greedy spreading root systems and are one of the
shrubs it is difficult to grow clematis under, so I am wondering whether
perhaps it needs to go in the ground

Gobberts nursery are national collection holders of syringa, I know them
through the rare plant fairs and a look at the rare plant fairs web site
will give you their attendances near you this year. (If in doubt ask an
expert!)
--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 17-03-2011, 05:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Spider wrote in :

Does anyone else on this ng know or grow this Cut-leaf Lilac? I have
had mine for several years now and, despite feeding it with high potash
food and, once or twice, starving it in case that helped, there has
never been so much as a flower bud. I know it is capable of flowering
because, in desperation, I've looked on Google Images. That just makes
it worse, because I know how gorgeous it can look :~{

It is now growing in a large pot (it has been potted on over the years
as it's grown, but certainly never over-potted). I could pot it on
again or leave it in it's 15" pot. Maybe restricting the rootball would
help? I would *love* to see it flower (each year preferably), but I'm
beginning to wonder if I'm wasting my time.

Can anyone offer me any advice or hope?
Thank you.

Sorry, Spider to go off topic but hows the rhubarb getting along?

Baz

Old 19-03-2011, 06:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/03/2011 13:52, Charlie Pridham wrote:

"Spider" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks, Charlie. I was intending to put it in the ground originally,
but its growth is so slow it doesn't seem to fill its pot with root that
quickly. I am planning a new border, so perhaps I'll give it one last
chance. I'll also look up Gobberts and see if they'll be anywhere local
this year. Otherwise it'll be a phone call. Thanks again.

Old 19-03-2011, 06:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/03/2011 17:18, Baz wrote:
wrote in :

[...]

Aw, thanks for asking Baz. That's nice of you :~). It's doing
amazingly well and I haven't even fed it yet, although it's close enough
to my compost bins that it will never go hungry. I can't get horse poo
where I am, so I'll be using pelleted chicken poo anytime soon. I would
have done it already, but I've got Spider Flu:~( [aka common cold]! I'm
so chuffed that it's taken. I keep going out and looking at it,
although I soon won't have to as I think it will probably wave at me
through the window! One day soon I'll take a photograph of it and open
a rhubarb picture thread.

Old 21-03-2011, 12:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Spider wrote in
:

Aw, thanks for asking Baz. That's nice of you :~). It's doing
amazingly well and I haven't even fed it yet, although it's close
enough to my compost bins that it will never go hungry. I can't get
horse poo where I am, so I'll be using pelleted chicken poo anytime
soon. I would have done it already, but I've got Spider Flu:~( [aka
common cold]! I'm so chuffed that it's taken. I keep going out and
looking at it, although I soon won't have to as I think it will
probably wave at me through the window! One day soon I'll take a
photograph of it and open a rhubarb picture thread.

Yes, chicken poo pellets, as soon as you can.
Rhubarb likes its feed in early winter so get some on asap. I had to feed
mine late this year because of all the snow, but they are all doing great
in fact I could take a couple of stalks now (without forcing) if I NEEDED
to, but I have still some in the freezer from last year. It is going to be
a good year for rhubarb I think judging by what you say and looking at
mine.
Looking forward to the pics, I might do the same when I figure out a
hosting site.

Good luck with all
Baz
Old 22-03-2011, 02:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21/03/2011 12:29, Baz wrote:
wrote in
:

[...]

Thanks for that kindly nag, Baz :~). I shall go out and do it right
now. It's a lovely sunny day here, so it's not a chore. Will sort out
the photo soon.

Syringa afghanica Sue United Kingdom 3 26-07-2010 07:42 AM
Syringa vulgaris e+d[_2_] Garden Photos 1 28-04-2009 09:04 PM
Syringa Vulgaris 'Primrose' Lilac Bob Hallsworth United Kingdom 3 07-05-2006 05:39 PM
lilac - syringa vulgaris aucubaefolis KD Gardening 3 21-05-2005 03:44 PM
Syringa in a pot? Brian Watson United Kingdom 19 04-01-2004 07:45 PM