Old 20-03-2011, 05:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Snag Snag is offline

Default Gardens and Worms !

I'm new here , and I've been reading and catching up a bit on the group .
I'm in Memphis Tn , and after last year I'm tripling the size of my little
garden plot . Had too much in too little room last year .
I've tilled up some lawn , and added a 3-4" layer of "pro mix" compost
from my local nursery . I'll be tilling that in as soon as my tiller part
arrives ... but until then , I just went out and turned/mixed by hand the
plot from last year (same 4" layer of compost ). I must be doing something
right , I found worms as big as my little finger and 6" long in there . The
wife thinks (and she's right) that it's time I get some lettuce and spinach
in the ground . I think I'll plant a couple of rows of green onions too ...
I also planted tomatoes (slicers and cherry) , marigolds , and peppers
into some peat pods today . Hopefully this year I'll get better yield on the
'maters , last year wasn't exactly stellar - probably because of
overcrowding and not enough fertilizer . I'll be adding some slow-release
veggie fertilizer to the soil when I till the compost in , especially where
I tilled up grass .
What I won't be doing is using any chemical pesticides . I've had pretty
good luck with using a border of marigolds plus spraying with a tea solution
made from red peppers .
--
Snag
Learning keeps