Old 21-03-2011, 04:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike'[_4_] 'Mike'[_4_] is offline

Default transplanting potatoes?

"Baz" wrote in message
gogo wrote in
:

On 21/03/2011 12:03, Baz wrote:
wrote in news:im7b2q$n0j$1
@news.eternal-september.org:

Hello,

I try every year to have a few potatoes in big pots outside (I'm in
Edinburgh). Usually, I have a fairly bad harvest, but you know, it's
good to have a few new potatoes direct from the garden! I thought
one of the reason for the low yield is late planting, so, I thought
I could try planting earlier. Unfortunately my big pots are busy
with tulips at the moment, so, I wonder if people have experience
transplanting potatoes, i.e., starting them in smaller pots and
re-potting them later when the tulips are done? Is this feasible or
the don't like that? Thanks for any advice

Gogo

I have no experience transplanting potatoes as I think it won't work
imo.

You can grow them in strong plastic sacks and I know that can be very
successful.
Try the link below, there are many more to try. Put this in your
browser- grow potatoes in bags

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...d.php?t=361726

Hope this helps
Baz

In fact, I think I could combine plastic bag growing and Phil's
(above) method. Thanks

Yes you can, if Phil has success you can as well.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do. Do yourself a favour and grow
some mint, it's lovely boiled with new spuds.

Baz

""Do yourself a favour and grow some mint,""

In a bucket or a contained plot. It spreads and takes over like 'Mind your
own business' or 'Lily of the Valley'

A plant out of place is a weed ;-)

Mike

Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive