Old 21-03-2011, 10:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default transplanting potatoes?

Hello,

I try every year to have a few potatoes in big pots outside (I'm in
Edinburgh). Usually, I have a fairly bad harvest, but you know, it's
good to have a few new potatoes direct from the garden! I thought one of
the reason for the low yield is late planting, so, I thought I could try
planting earlier. Unfortunately my big pots are busy with tulips at the
moment, so, I wonder if people have experience transplanting potatoes,
i.e., starting them in smaller pots and re-potting them later when the
tulips are done? Is this feasible or the don't like that?
Thanks for any advice

Gogo
Old 21-03-2011, 11:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"gogo" wrote in message
Hello,

I try every year to have a few potatoes in big pots outside (I'm in
Edinburgh). Usually, I have a fairly bad harvest, but you know, it's good
to have a few new potatoes direct from the garden! I thought one of the
reason for the low yield is late planting, so, I thought I could try
planting earlier. Unfortunately my big pots are busy with tulips at the
moment, so, I wonder if people have experience transplanting potatoes,
i.e., starting them in smaller pots and re-potting them later when the
tulips are done? Is this feasible or the don't like that?
Thanks for any advice

Do it every year up here. I plant 3 or 4 to grow in potato bags for our
gardening club competition and about 12 earlies and 12 maincrop for
transplanting out into the garden in May. All are planted now in peat
compost in 5" pots, about 2" below the surface. The vegetable garden ones
are later earthed up and the ones in pots or bags are planted at the bottom
and then J.I.3 is added as they grow. The bagged plants average 2-3 Kg.per
bag.
HTH

Phil
Northern Highlands of Scotland

Old 21-03-2011, 12:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

gogo wrote in news:im7b2q$n0j$1
@news.eternal-september.org:

Hello,

I try every year to have a few potatoes in big pots outside (I'm in
Edinburgh). Usually, I have a fairly bad harvest, but you know, it's
good to have a few new potatoes direct from the garden! I thought one of
the reason for the low yield is late planting, so, I thought I could try
planting earlier. Unfortunately my big pots are busy with tulips at the
moment, so, I wonder if people have experience transplanting potatoes,
i.e., starting them in smaller pots and re-potting them later when the
tulips are done? Is this feasible or the don't like that?
Thanks for any advice

Gogo

I have no experience transplanting potatoes as I think it won't work imo.

You can grow them in strong plastic sacks and I know that can be very
successful.
Try the link below, there are many more to try. Put this in your browser-
grow potatoes in bags

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...d.php?t=361726

Hope this helps
Baz

Old 21-03-2011, 02:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21/03/2011 12:03, Baz wrote:
[...]

In fact, I think I could combine plastic bag growing and Phil's (above)
method. Thanks

Old 21-03-2011, 03:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

gogo wrote in
:

On 21/03/2011 12:03, Baz wrote:
[...]

Yes you can, if Phil has success you can as well.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do. Do yourself a favour and grow
some mint, it's lovely boiled with new spuds.

Baz
Old 21-03-2011, 04:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote in message
gogo wrote in
:

On 21/03/2011 12:03, Baz wrote:
[...]

In a bucket or a contained plot. It spreads and takes over like 'Mind your
own business' or 'Lily of the Valley'

A plant out of place is a weed ;-)

Mike

Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive

Old 21-03-2011, 08:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 21, 10:59*am, gogo wrote:
Hello,

I try every year to have a few potatoes in big pots outside (I'm in
Edinburgh). Usually, I have a fairly bad harvest, but you know, it's
good to have a few new potatoes direct from the garden! I thought one of
the reason for the low yield is late planting, so, I thought I could try
planting earlier. Unfortunately my big pots are busy with tulips at the
moment, so, I wonder if people have experience transplanting potatoes,
i.e., starting them in smaller pots and re-potting them later when the
tulips are done? Is this feasible or the don't like that?
Thanks for any advice

Gogo

Traditionally potatoes were planted on good Friday but maybe not in
Scotland!
One reason for poor crops is disease. Any signs?
Old 22-03-2011, 08:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21/03/2011 20:17, harry wrote:
On Mar 21, 10:59 am, wrote:
Hello,

I try every year to have a few potatoes in big pots outside (I'm in
Edinburgh). Usually, I have a fairly bad harvest, but you know, it's
good to have a few new potatoes direct from the garden! I thought one of
the reason for the low yield is late planting, so, I thought I could try
planting earlier. Unfortunately my big pots are busy with tulips at the
moment, so, I wonder if people have experience transplanting potatoes,
i.e., starting them in smaller pots and re-potting them later when the
tulips are done? Is this feasible or the don't like that?
Thanks for any advice

Gogo

Traditionally potatoes were planted on good Friday but maybe not in
Scotland!
One reason for poor crops is disease. Any signs?

No, at least not last year. I would say my poor results are mainly due
to lack of sun in the back garden (and planting too late), but still ,
as I said, it's satisfying to have a few own grown potatoes, even if
only "symbolic"!