Old 20-04-2003, 06:17 AM
Eric Schreiber

Default Hagen diffuser report

tose (LeighMo) wrote:

Did it work better than the bell you were using?
Did your pH drop more than with the bell?

With the bell I could see that it had CO2 *in* the bell, but had no
clue if it was dissolving into the tank or not. At least with this
diffuser there is no doubt that it's dissolving.

Honestly, my pH hasn't dropped with either the bell or the Hagen
diffuser. I'm kind of irritated about that, as I would like to have
that 'chemical' evidence of CO2 in addition to the visual evidence I
have.

Since the last time I did a pH test (I do it weekly) I've lowered the
tank temperature a few degrees. It's possible that will help with CO2
retention, and if the numbers change I'll post about it here.

And is there any maintenance involved in this thing?
Anything you have to clean?

So far, no. However, I saw one of these diffusers in a store and it
had a lot of algae growth, so I wouldn't be surprised if once in
awhile I have to pull it out and scrub it with an old toothbrush or
something.

I am getting that weird white filamentous stuff that people often
mention in connection with CO2 injection. Just a little tiny cloud of
it right where the CO2 comes out of the tube. Had this with the bell,
too.

--
www.ericschreiber.com