Old 23-03-2011, 07:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Derek[_6_] Derek[_6_] is offline

Default Turf and Topsoil Advice on clay - now I know more about what I'm dealing with!

On Tue, 22 Mar 2011 21:01:29 +0000, Richard William
wrote:

online and many people suggest bringing in sand to break up the clay but
I'm wondering if its bad enough to do that and be a waste of money and
time? The manure itself s doing a good job of breaking the clay already
it seems.
I'm then thinking of a 2-3 inch layer of top soil and then turf? Some
people have suggested clay of this type/consistency will not need any
topsoil at all and some suggest a miniumum 9 inches! Its such a
minefield! I'm pretty certain grass will pentrate my clay/manure layer
but whether it will grow or not I don't know.

Lots of hard work done, would suggest that you have the 'goodness'
back into the ground, so now you need the 'drainage' .

So spend the money on the sand, sharp not builders, and you may be
looking at one of those 'bulk' bags so be lovered by builders
merchants. I think 2-3 inch's of topsoil is more than enough, and
properly not even required.