Old 23-03-2011, 09:57 PM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default Tell me why its necessary to file and soak seeds?

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

qazwsxed wrote:
Im new (really new to gardening) and it seems like i want to do it all
at once!

And

i want to do it right! i research the internet finding
the correct way to plant certain plants. On the seed packages you get
at a retailer, it says just plant seeds in the ground. but on some
websites it says to file a nick in the seed then soak it overnight.

Is this necessary or suggested? what are the advantages of doing
this? Id rather ask the experts or experienced gardners!!!
Thanks in advance

It depends entirely on the type of seed. Most seeds will germinate without
any such treatment. Some require special treatment such as; abrasion,
smoke, heat, soaking etc. The advantage for those seeds that require it is
to greatly increase the germination rate.

If you say what kind of seeds you are dealing with somebody might give more
specific advice.

David

It appears to me that "qazwsxed" was looking for why some plants need
nicking and soaking, which echinosum answered quite clearly.

"Bread feeds the body, indeed, but flowers feed also the soul."
- The Koran

====
--
---------