Old 24-03-2011, 11:21 AM posted to rec.gardens
Boron Elgar Boron Elgar is offline

Default Pests????

On Wed, 23 Mar 2011 22:07:37 -0700, Billy
wrote:

In article ,
Boron Elgar wrote:

I have had squirrels dig up pots on decks and scatter dirt all over
the place. This time of year is prime time for them..

Can't say about the primulas, though, I have seen whole new-growth
plants vanish early in the spring on the deck.

Boron

I've found that covering the pot with chicken wire discourages the
squirrels.

Oh, indeed it does, but in season, I am liable to have 75 pots and
planters scattered on the decks, hardly manageable with chicken wire.

Still, evil though I believe the squirrels are (and I can relate tales
of their home invasions, too), they do, at times, offer up gifts that
are surprising and rewarding. I have had sunflowers come up all over
the place, and have acquired a couple of nut trees. They trees may
likely never produce, but I love nurturing something that springs up
unplanned and unbidden.

Boron