Old 13-03-2011, 02:01 PM
Registered User

Question Pests????

I found it difficult to understand. Yesterday I remarked on how three primulas in a trough has done so well to survive our winter. They were in full bloom and about 9" high. Today I looked and there was nothing left of them. The flowers and the leaves had vanished. The soil is not disturbed. There is no sign of the remains of the growth.
This might also be co-incidental but a few days ago I found huge digging in my patio pots. In one pot with a T rose and tulip bulbs something had dug at least 6" deap and scattered the soil over the patio.
I live in a flat and my "garden" is on the roof, 3 stories high, so it is unlikely to be cats or fox. The birds that are around most of the time are seagulls, pigeons and jackdaw.
Any ideas?
Old 13-03-2011, 05:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Pests????

In article ,
Tony Ellis wrote:

I found it difficult to understand. Yesterday I remarked on how three
primulas in a trough has done so well to survive our winter. They were
in full bloom and about 9" high. Today I looked and there was nothing
left of them. The flowers and the leaves had vanished. The soil is not
disturbed. There is no sign of the remains of the growth.
This might also be co-incidental but a few days ago I found huge digging
in my patio pots. In one pot with a T rose and tulip bulbs something had
dug at least 6" deap and scattered the soil over the patio.
I live in a flat and my "garden" is on the roof, 3 stories high, so it
is unlikely to be cats or fox. The birds that are around most of the
time are seagulls, pigeons and jackdaw.
Any ideas?

Squirrels?
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYIC0eZYEtI
http://www.democracynow.org/blog/2011/3/7/michael_moore
Old 13-03-2011, 05:38 PM posted to rec.gardens

just curious tony,

you found a huge ?? digging in your patio pots.

as for the birdsi don't think seagulls are into pulling and eating
plants, not so sure pigeons will either they are seed eaters, dunno
about jackdaws dunno what type of bird they are, but if they are
vegetation eaters then maybe not guilty either.

so we need to hear what large something was digging in the pots.

but sounds a little like maybe human intervention?? for a whole plant
to dissapear not many bugs can do that.

grasshoppesmaybe but the whole plant?? leaves yes

On Sun, 13 Mar 2011 14:01:39 +0000, Tony Ellis
wrote:

snipped
--

Matthew 25:13 KJV
"Watch therefore, for ye know neither

Mark 13:33 "Take ye heed, watch and pray:
for ye know not when the time is".

and also: Isaiah 38:1&17-18 KJV

1: Thus saith the Lord, set thine house in order: for thou shalt die and not live.
17: for thou hast cast all my sins behind my back.
18: For the grave cannot praise thee, death cannot celebrate thee: they that go down in the pit cannot hope for truth.

len

With peace and brightest of blessings,

"Seek truth and understanding will follow"

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/
Old 13-03-2011, 08:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

Tony Ellis wrote:
I found it difficult to understand. Yesterday I remarked on how three
primulas in a trough has done so well to survive our winter. They were
in full bloom and about 9" high. Today I looked and there was nothing
left of them. The flowers and the leaves had vanished. The soil is not
disturbed. There is no sign of the remains of the growth.

So something cut them off at ground level and removed the plant leaving the
roots, is that right?

I don't share your range of fauna but I very much doubt that this was birds.
It is either a human or an animal with teeth. Examine the stumps closely.
Were they cut or chewed off?

This might also be co-incidental but a few days ago I found huge
digging in my patio pots. In one pot with a T rose and tulip bulbs
something had dug at least 6" deap and scattered the soil over the
patio.
I live in a flat and my "garden" is on the roof, 3 stories high, so it
is unlikely to be cats or fox. The birds that are around most of the
time are seagulls, pigeons and jackdaw.
Any ideas?

In these parts I would say possum.

David

Old 14-03-2011, 08:48 AM
Registered User

Thumbs down

Yes. The roots are undisturbed. The growth was "chewed off". I live in Cornwall, U.K. so dont have possums. Also no human can get to my "roof garden" as it's sole access is via a fire escape that runs past my bedroom window.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hare-Scott[_2_] View Post

Old 14-03-2011, 08:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mar 13, 7:01*am, Tony Ellis
wrote:
I found it difficult to understand. Yesterday I remarked on how three
primulas in a trough has done so well to survive our winter. They were
in full bloom and about 9" high. Today I looked and there was nothing
left of them. The flowers and the leaves had vanished. The soil is not
disturbed. There is no sign of the remains of the growth.
This might also be co-incidental but a few days ago I found huge digging
in my patio pots. In one pot with a T rose and tulip bulbs something had
dug at least 6" deap and scattered the soil over the patio.
I live in a flat and my "garden" is on the roof, 3 stories high, so it
is unlikely to be cats or fox. The birds that are around most of the
time are seagulls, pigeons and jackdaw.
Any ideas?

--
Tony Ellis

Jackdaw..........a relative of the American Crow.
Check out Wikipedia: Jackdaw.
Emilie
Old 15-03-2011, 04:19 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Ellis View Post
I found it difficult to understand. Yesterday I remarked on how three primulas in a trough has done so well to survive our winter. They were in full bloom and about 9" high. Today I looked and there was nothing left of them. The flowers and the leaves had vanished. The soil is not disturbed. There is no sign of the remains of the growth.
This might also be co-incidental but a few days ago I found huge digging in my patio pots. In one pot with a T rose and tulip bulbs something had dug at least 6" deap and scattered the soil over the patio.
I live in a flat and my "garden" is on the roof, 3 stories high, so it is unlikely to be cats or fox. The birds that are around most of the time are seagulls, pigeons and jackdaw.
Any ideas?
I think it was another person's doing, couldn't be a bug of any kind and if an animal of any kind had been at it, you'd be able to tell because there would be mess left behind.
__________________
Bat Boxes - Help Your Local Bat Friends
Chimineas | Parasols | Garden Benches | Garden Furniture Covers

Old 22-03-2011, 11:27 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn1 View Post
Tony Ellis;914830 Wrote:
I found it difficult to understand. Yesterday I remarked on how three
primulas in a trough has done so well to survive our winter. They were
in full bloom and about 9" high. Today I looked and there was nothing
left of them. The flowers and the leaves had vanished. The soil is not
disturbed. There is no sign of the remains of the growth.
This might also be co-incidental but a few days ago I found huge digging
in my patio pots. In one pot with a T rose and tulip bulbs something had
dug at least 6" deap and scattered the soil over the patio.
I live in a flat and my "garden" is on the roof, 3 stories high, so it
is unlikely to be cats or fox. The birds that are around most of the
time are seagulls, pigeons and jackdaw.
Any ideas?

Rats.
It wouldn't be rats.
__________________
Old 22-03-2011, 03:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 22 Mar 2011 11:27:57 +0000, hollierose
wrote:

Brooklyn1;915021 Wrote:
Tony Ellis;914830 Wrote: -
[...]

I have had squirrels dig up pots on decks and scatter dirt all over
the place. This time of year is prime time for them..

Can't say about the primulas, though, I have seen whole new-growth
plants vanish early in the spring on the deck.

Boron

Old 24-03-2011, 05:07 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Brooklyn1;915021 Wrote:
Tony Ellis;914830 Wrote: -
[...]

I've found that covering the pot with chicken wire discourages the
squirrels.
--
- Billy
Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.
Old 24-03-2011, 11:21 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Wed, 23 Mar 2011 22:07:37 -0700, Billy
wrote:

In article ,
Boron Elgar wrote:

I have had squirrels dig up pots on decks and scatter dirt all over
the place. This time of year is prime time for them..

Can't say about the primulas, though, I have seen whole new-growth
plants vanish early in the spring on the deck.

Boron

I've found that covering the pot with chicken wire discourages the
squirrels.

Oh, indeed it does, but in season, I am liable to have 75 pots and
planters scattered on the decks, hardly manageable with chicken wire.

Still, evil though I believe the squirrels are (and I can relate tales
of their home invasions, too), they do, at times, offer up gifts that
are surprising and rewarding. I have had sunflowers come up all over
the place, and have acquired a couple of nut trees. They trees may
likely never produce, but I love nurturing something that springs up
unplanned and unbidden.

Boron