Old 25-03-2011, 11:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
A Plumber A Plumber is offline

Default apple tree

"Rod" wrote in message
On Mar 24, 4:11 pm, "A Plumber" wrote:
Hi All,
I would like a small apple tree that I can train to grow across a wall
2mts
high.
What would be the best variety to grow, and would it need any special
needs.
Thanks in advance

Just to add a bit to Bob's reply.
Depending on the length of the wall you may be able to accomodate 2 or
more cordons or an espalier - google those terms for more info.
Also not all apples are well suited to growing in restricted forms
like this - you need 'spur' bearers rather than 'tip' bearers - back
to google for info.
For 2metres high a rootstock such as M106 would probably be best -
google again.
For interest and economy read up and learn to form your own trees from
'maidens' rather than paying somebody lots of money to do it not all
that well.
Get on with it now by buying bare rooted plants rather than buying
containerised plants later in the season at much higher prices and
less good.

Rod

Many thanks to all for the info, I'll get started now