Old 24-03-2011, 04:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default apple tree

Hi All,
I would like a small apple tree that I can train to grow across a wall 2mts
high.
What would be the best variety to grow, and would it need any special needs.
Thanks in advance

Old 24-03-2011, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"A Plumber" wrote .

Hi All,
I would like a small apple tree that I can train to grow across a wall 2mts
high.
What would be the best variety to grow, and would it need any special needs.
Thanks in advance

You need a fan trained tree on a dwarfing rootstock.
The variety of the apple is up to you, what ones do you like?

See ...
http://brogdaleonline.co.uk/catalogue ... and download the pdf file
for varieties available and instructions etc
You need to get it planted soon too.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 24-03-2011, 06:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 24, 4:11*pm, "A Plumber" wrote:
Hi All,
I would like a small apple tree that I can train to grow across a wall 2mts
high.
What would be the best variety to grow, and would it need any special needs.
Thanks in advance

Just to add a bit to Bob's reply.
Depending on the length of the wall you may be able to accomodate 2 or
more cordons or an espalier - google those terms for more info.
Also not all apples are well suited to growing in restricted forms
like this - you need 'spur' bearers rather than 'tip' bearers - back
to google for info.
For 2metres high a rootstock such as M106 would probably be best -
google again.
For interest and economy read up and learn to form your own trees from
'maidens' rather than paying somebody lots of money to do it not all
that well.
Get on with it now by buying bare rooted plants rather than buying
containerised plants later in the season at much higher prices and
less good.

Rod
Old 25-03-2011, 10:37 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Plumber View Post
Hi All,
I would like a small apple tree that I can train to grow across a wall 2mts
high.
What would be the best variety to grow, and would it need any special needs.
Thanks in advance
The key thing about apples is that they aren't self- fertile - you need two different varieties flowering at the same time, so that they can pollinate each other, otherwise you won't get a good crop.

If there are a lot of apple trees in the gardens around you, that's not such a problem (though you are dependent on your neighbours not getting rid of their trees).

Otherwise, either find space for two trees (check they flower at the same time) or consider a family tree - 3 varieties grafted on to the same tree - though that will restrict your choice of varieties.
Old 25-03-2011, 11:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rod" wrote in message
[...]

Many thanks to all for the info, I'll get started now