Old 28-03-2011, 08:41 PM
Simmo Simmo is offline
Registered User

Location: Sheffield
Default Sickly Escalonia's

Hello all,

I planted about 20 Escalonias in order to form a hedge around 2 sides of my garden. When I first planted them they were a healthy dark green with small white flowers but over time they have become less 'green' and have had no flowers for some time now .. It appears that the soil which they are in is lacking nutrients and I have been told to get some tomato feed to give to the plants to help them.

I am just wondering if this is the answer and if so, how much and how regularly should I feed the plants ? As hedges go it is currently in a pretty sorry state as the plants have grown but are not very dense. They are currently about 2'6" tall. I am assuming that I need to trim them back a fair bit to try to encourage more growth at the base as well as feeding them ?

Not being a gardening type I was wondering if anyone could offer any advice please ..

Thanks very much ..

Dave.