Old 29-03-2011, 04:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default A strange Spring

On Mar 29, 3:30*pm, wrote:
Janet wrote:
Our rhubarb looks pretty much ready to pick.
How does one know when it's 'ok' to pick?

*We've been picking ours for a fortnight. For an established patch.
"when" is as soon as you can break off stems about 6" long.

Lovely, I'll go out later and pick some, then.

*Young plants in their first season should be allowed to keep their stems
so the leaves can photosynthesise and build up a strong root system. Once
a root system is well established and being well fed, nothing short of a
direct nuclear hit will damage it.

*nod* *It's a very well established pair of plants. *Nick was meant to split
it over the winter, but it started to regrow earlier than predicted, so he
missed his chance.

*Your boys might enjoy a favourite pud of my boys; stewed rhubarb mixed
with a packet of raspberry jelly cubes and allowed to set.

They probably would, but I don't give them jelly, so they'll have to live
with crumble and ice-cream for now.

If you can find it try Apricot jelly with the rhubarb