Old 29-03-2011, 04:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Malcolm Malcolm is offline

Default Raspberry query.

On 29/03/2011 16:39, Moonraker wrote:
Last year I planted 15 Glen Ample raspberry plants. They are growing
away fine and I have high hope for this years crop. However they have
thrown up lots of "suckers" In the past my other raspberries (different
varieties) have not thrown these up until the old canes are fruiting. Is
this normal, should I keep those suitable for next years crop or cut
them all out until later in the year?

Keep them - these are next years fruiting canes. I planted replacement
canes last year and they are only now throwing up new canes. The new
canes look like suckers as they grow from below ground but they are the
new canes. If you have existing fruiting canes then the new canes seem
to appear a few weeks later

Malcolm