Old 29-03-2011, 04:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Raspberry query.

Last year I planted 15 Glen Ample raspberry plants. They are growing
away fine and I have high hope for this years crop. However they have
thrown up lots of "suckers" In the past my other raspberries (different
varieties) have not thrown these up until the old canes are fruiting. Is
this normal, should I keep those suitable for next years crop or cut
them all out until later in the year?
Old 29-03-2011, 04:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/03/2011 16:39, Moonraker wrote:
Last year I planted 15 Glen Ample raspberry plants. They are growing
away fine and I have high hope for this years crop. However they have
thrown up lots of "suckers" In the past my other raspberries (different
varieties) have not thrown these up until the old canes are fruiting. Is
this normal, should I keep those suitable for next years crop or cut
them all out until later in the year?

Keep them - these are next years fruiting canes. I planted replacement
canes last year and they are only now throwing up new canes. The new
canes look like suckers as they grow from below ground but they are the
new canes. If you have existing fruiting canes then the new canes seem
to appear a few weeks later

Malcolm
Old 29-03-2011, 06:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 29 Mar 2011 16:58:47 +0100, Malcolm wrote:

On 29/03/2011 16:39, Moonraker wrote:
Last year I planted 15 Glen Ample raspberry plants.

Good Choice, Keep them, but limit the amount, depending on how you
are growing them, in a row , few inches apart, or a line of 'stools' a
few feet apart.

Basically keep enough to replace this years. Excess should be cut
out.

www.lincolnfuchsiasociety.info
Old 29-03-2011, 11:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Moonraker wrote:
Last year I planted 15 Glen Ample raspberry plants. They are growing
away fine and I have high hope for this years crop. However they have
thrown up lots of "suckers" In the past my other raspberries (different
varieties) have not thrown these up until the old canes are fruiting. Is
this normal, should I keep those suitable for next years crop or cut
them all out until later in the year?

Is it a summer or autumn fruiting variety?
Old 30-03-2011, 08:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29 Mar 2011 22:17:57 GMT, wrote:

Moonraker wrote:
Last year I planted 15 Glen Ample raspberry plants.

Is it a summer or autumn fruiting variety?

Good Summer variety

babba raspberry Alan Edible Gardening 6 05-03-2003 06:17 AM
Raspberry Bushes Dessy Edible Gardening 3 24-02-2003 01:03 PM
Raspberry canes John Cotterill United Kingdom 1 14-01-2003 10:24 PM
Moving raspberry canes Jo United Kingdom 2 24-11-2002 01:35 PM
Raspberry choice? Autumn Bliss? Steve Harris United Kingdom 2 31-10-2002 01:51 AM