Old 29-03-2011, 05:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default Need help please pond plants

On Tue, 29 Mar 2011 16:59:20 +0100, "Therefore"
wrote:

Hello again
I will be buying some bull rush and water lilies tomorrow from B&Q
Can anyone on group help, with type of compost needed to fill the pots

Also is it necessary to cover the roots in gravel
And any other advice you can give will be welcome

TIA .......................Leslie

There's special aquatic compost sold, surprisingly as "aquatic
compost", though whether you'll find it in B&Q is another matter.
Don't be tempted to use anything other than the special aquatic
compost as other types will cause a range of problems.

Use pond planting baskets, not standard pots. Some people say it's
best to line the planting baskets with hessian but I don't do it and
have no problems. I top my baskets with a decent layer of coarse grit
rather than gravel - some layer is best to stop the compost washing
out of the basket.

Jake