Old 29-03-2011, 04:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Need help please pond plants

Hello again
I will be buying some bull rush and water lilies tomorrow from B&Q
Can anyone on group help, with type of compost needed to fill the pots

Also is it necessary to cover the roots in gravel
And any other advice you can give will be welcome

TIA .......................Leslie
Old 29-03-2011, 05:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 29 Mar 2011 16:59:20 +0100, "Therefore"
wrote:

Hello again
I will be buying some bull rush and water lilies tomorrow from B&Q
Can anyone on group help, with type of compost needed to fill the pots

Also is it necessary to cover the roots in gravel
And any other advice you can give will be welcome

TIA .......................Leslie

There's special aquatic compost sold, surprisingly as "aquatic
compost", though whether you'll find it in B&Q is another matter.
Don't be tempted to use anything other than the special aquatic
compost as other types will cause a range of problems.

Use pond planting baskets, not standard pots. Some people say it's
best to line the planting baskets with hessian but I don't do it and
have no problems. I top my baskets with a decent layer of coarse grit
rather than gravel - some layer is best to stop the compost washing
out of the basket.

Jake
Old 29-03-2011, 06:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Therefore" wrote in message
Hello again
I will be buying some bull rush and water lilies tomorrow from B&Q
Can anyone on group help, with type of compost needed to fill the pots

Also is it necessary to cover the roots in gravel
And any other advice you can give will be welcome

TIA .......................Leslie

Pond plants from B&Q come packaged with compost....looks like bunny poo.
TBH, I'd find a decent aquatic supplier who can sell you what you need and
give advice.
Pete C

Old 29-03-2011, 06:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Therefore" wrote ...

Hello again
I will be buying some bull rush and water lilies tomorrow from B&Q
Can anyone on group help, with type of compost needed to fill the pots

Also is it necessary to cover the roots in gravel
And any other advice you can give will be welcome
.................................................. ..........................

Bull rush, are you sure? They are large plants that will take over anything
other than a lake and they look and make a terrible mess when they shed
their seeds.
Water Lilies from B & Q? If they aren't a named variety and it just says
White or Red don't touch them. You will have that plant for a long time so
buy a good one.

See.... http://www.lilieswatergardens.co.uk/ or
http://www.watergarden.org/Pond-Supp...dy-Waterlilies for the names
of suitable plants

You need a lily that is suitable for your depth of water, the depths quoted
are from the plant to the surface i.e. from the top of the pot to the
surface. The soil you need for all pond plants has to be low in nutrients so
they do sell special compost, water lilies don't need drainage holes so a
large plastic bowl or the latest solid planting tub is much better than
those old plastic mesh things that loose soil. The soil is usually covered
with pebbles to stop the fish rooting and removing the soil, the bigger the
fish the bigger the stones.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Seen this?.... http://elrellano.com/videos_online/4...-roncalli.html

Old 29-03-2011, 08:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 29 Mar 2011 17:59:20 +0200, Therefore wrote:

Hello again
I will be buying some bull rush and water lilies tomorrow from B&Q
Can anyone on group help, with type of compost needed to fill the pots

Also is it necessary to cover the roots in gravel
And any other advice you can give will be welcome

Loam based compost with limited fertiliser (you don't want to encourage
algae) is available for pond plants - from memory B&Q stock an aquatic
compost. Gravel is not essential but is useful to stop the compost from
floating where the container is below water. It is worth remembering that
bulrush is invasive in shallow water and it should really only be grown in
ponds where deep water will limit its spread. As an aside blue tits do
seem to like the seed heads.

--
rbel

Old 29-03-2011, 10:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote
[...]

Sorry about that last link it's an American one, I meant to give you the
link to THE waterlily nursery...
http://www.latour-marliac.com/ (just click on the UK site link top left
and go to Hardy Waterlilies).

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 30-03-2011, 08:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Therefore" wrote in message
Hello again
I will be buying some bull rush and water lilies tomorrow from B&Q
Can anyone on group help, with type of compost needed to fill the pots

Also is it necessary to cover the roots in gravel
And any other advice you can give will be welcome

TIA .......................Leslie

I am led to believe that there are two, or more, distinctive types of
Bulrush.

Large and intrusive and more 'gentile' ones. The attached picture shows a
'thug' which had to be removed from my daughter and son in law's pond. The
were nearly 6 feet above the water and when pulled out, over 8 foot high.

Watch what you are getting or at least check out if I am correct reference
'types' and sizes.

http://www.myalbum.com/Album=BYMJ3GLI

Mike

Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive

Old 30-03-2011, 07:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 29, 4:59*pm, "Therefore" wrote:
Hello again
I will be buying some bull rush and water lilies tomorrow from B&Q
Can anyone on group help, with *type of compost needed to fill the pots

Also is it necessary to cover the roots in gravel
And any other advice you can give will be welcome

Re the bullrushes (I assume you mean reed mace) conventional advice is
to watch it with roots they can damage pond liners.

Start the water liliesin shallow water (say 6" max over the top of the
container) and push out deeper each year as they get bigger.

I just plant my stuff in clay (subsoil). As someone said, excess
nutrients just lead to green water.

If you have any carp type fish (koi, goldfish etc) cover the soil with
flat stones, they love to dig.