Old 30-03-2011, 04:23 PM
ctsanders1 ctsanders1 is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zootal[_3_] View Post
I have radishes and sunflowers growing together. The sunflowers are about 6"
tall. Something is devouring the radish root where it grows above the soil,
and also something is devouring the sunflower leaves. I've not seen any
insect pests. The weather has been wet and cool. My first guess is slugs,
since we have plenty of them here, and the weather is wet and cool. Will
slugs eat sunflower leaves?

And a romp through google land has not given me any clear ideas about how to
control slugs. copper...chemicals...egg shells...garlic...shrug. Anyone
here have some practical experience - something that works - that they would
care to share?
Yikes! Flea beetles make numerous small holes in radish leaves. Cabbage root maggots and cutworms sometimes rasp holes or channels into radish skins. All of these pests are easily prevented by covering the plants with lightweight floating rowcovers. When sown early and exposed to cold weather, some radishes will bolt (rush to produce flowers) before they develop plump roots. Bolting is rare in radishes grown in late summer and fall. My resource for this information is Radish Garden - Healthy Snacks hope it helps!