Old 30-03-2011, 01:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Advice on pruning Buddleia

On Mar 29, 9:41*pm, A_T wrote:
On Tue, 29 Mar 2011 21:29:16 +0100, Derek wrote:
On 29 Mar 2011 18:12:15 GMT, A_T
wrote:

Here is my buddleia. It was planted in the Autumn having been grown in a
pot from a cutting. It's 30 inches high.

Personally I think it would be cruel to prune such a small plant.

When it grows a bit, you prune in Autumn to prevent wind damage, and
prune hard in the spring to shape and encourage growth, mine is over 35
years old, and from ground level to three feet is all gnarled and
interesting , with the new growth each year getting to twelve feet plus..

Yes I'm thinking give it a year or 2 to get established - and let the
roots grow.

Remember that this thing can spread 6 to 8 ft sidways, is it far
enough away from the conifer behind it?
If not move it now.
I'd cut it back to around 12 ti 18 inches what ever you do,
You dont say what colour flowers it has.