Old 30-03-2011, 07:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
harry harry is offline

Default Need help please pond plants

On Mar 29, 4:59*pm, "Therefore" wrote:
Hello again
I will be buying some bull rush and water lilies tomorrow from B&Q
Can anyone on group help, with *type of compost needed to fill the pots

Also is it necessary to cover the roots in gravel
And any other advice you can give will be welcome

Re the bullrushes (I assume you mean reed mace) conventional advice is
to watch it with roots they can damage pond liners.

Start the water liliesin shallow water (say 6" max over the top of the
container) and push out deeper each year as they get bigger.

I just plant my stuff in clay (subsoil). As someone said, excess
nutrients just lead to green water.

If you have any carp type fish (koi, goldfish etc) cover the soil with
flat stones, they love to dig.