Old 31-03-2011, 01:52 AM posted to rec.gardens
Amos Nomore Amos Nomore is offline

Default Blue Coating On Cantaloupe Seeds

In article ,
(EVP MAN) wrote:

Last Sunday I started my garden seeds indoors. When I opened the pack
of cantaloupe seeds, the first thing I noticed that they were a bright
blue in color. Today (Wed.) they have already germinated and are over
an inch tall. None of the other seeds (tomato and bell pepper) have
germinated as of yet. Best I can figure is that the bright blue coating
on the seeds had something to do with the rapid germination. Any ideas
as to what these seeds may have been coated with?

Probably a copper compound used for its fungicidal properties. Cucurbit
seeds generally germinate quickly. Seeds of solanaceous plants tend to
be slow to germinate.