Old 20-04-2003, 06:20 AM
Philip Ash

Default Hagen C02 Natural Plant System question

"Daniel C. Smith" wrote in message
Okay, keep in mind that I'm a beginner. I purchased the Nutrafin system

CO2
system because it looked like a good solution for my tank and it wouldn't

be
an eyesore in my house. I just have one problem, I cannot get it to

produce
any CO2 yet that I can see. The yeast, sugar, baking soda and water have
been in the reactor for over 24 hours now and still no CO2 bubbles can be
seen. The directions say that the fermentation should produce CO2 within
2-10 hours, but my setup has been going for much longer than that now. I
checked the hose and made sure the cap was screwed on tightly on the
reactor. I followed the directions verbatim, but no luck yet. Has anyone
else had a simlar experience? Also, if anyone has any tips they'd be
greatly appreciated at this point. Thanks.

Daniel

Dan,

There are a few things to consider.

Was the water too hot? Better too cool than to hot.

Have you taken the diffuser out of the tank or taken the hose off the
container or opened the container? It is a pressure system. The CO2 has to
build up a head of pressure before it makes its way up the tube, forces the
water in the tube out, and then starts producing bubbles. The first bubbles
will be air, and then the CO2 comes later.

It seems that Hagen supply too much stabiliser for some peoples setup. I
only use half the stabiliser they supply. My first batch with the full
amount did as yours did. There are at least two others on here that had the
same problem.

hth

Phil.