Old 20-04-2003, 06:20 AM
Dave

Default Hagen C02 Natural Plant System question

In , "Philip Ash"
empowered us with this mighty blow against the
Patriarchy:

"Daniel C. Smith" wrote in message
Okay, keep in mind that I'm a beginner. I purchased the Nutrafin
system

CO2
system because it looked like a good solution for my tank and it
wouldn't

be
an eyesore in my house. I just have one problem, I cannot get it to

produce
any CO2 yet that I can see. The yeast, sugar, baking soda and water
have been in the reactor for over 24 hours now and still no CO2
bubbles can be seen. The directions say that the fermentation should
produce CO2 within 2-10 hours, but my setup has been going for much
longer than that now. I checked the hose and made sure the cap was
screwed on tightly on the reactor. I followed the directions
verbatim, but no luck yet. Has anyone else had a simlar experience?
Also, if anyone has any tips they'd be greatly appreciated at this
point. Thanks.

Daniel

Dan,

There are a few things to consider.

Was the water too hot? Better too cool than to hot.

Have you taken the diffuser out of the tank or taken the hose off the
container or opened the container? It is a pressure system. The CO2
has to build up a head of pressure before it makes its way up the
tube, forces the water in the tube out, and then starts producing
bubbles. The first bubbles will be air, and then the CO2 comes later.

It seems that Hagen supply too much stabiliser for some peoples setup.
I only use half the stabiliser they supply. My first batch with the
full amount did as yours did. There are at least two others on here
that had the same problem.

In addition to the replies already posted ....

I set up this system and, after letting it sit for 24 hours, was only
getting one bubble about every 10 seconds. It was only after letting it
sit an additional day that I started getting a reasonable output.

I'm wondering if it has something to do with the water used (hardness?
don't know) that causes this delay to vary amongst people. With my regular
DIY CO2 setup (2qt juice bottle, 8 cups sugar, 1/4 tsp yeast), I always
need to wait at least 24 hours before I get an adequate amount of CO2,
while others have said that they only need to wait a few hours.