Old 04-04-2011, 02:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Grapevine help - careless pruning

On Apr 4, 11:59*am, Rob G wrote:
On Apr 3, 5:37*pm, Jeff Layman wrote:

On 03/04/2011 11:57, Rob G wrote:

Can some one tell me what to do with what I know I must never do and
that is to cut into growing wood. *Careless I know and I've been
maintaining two vine plants for over 10 years, but how do I stop it
leaking watery sap at really rather an alarming rate ?

I've tried CA glue, and special rubbery electrical tape to no avail.

Rob

If the diameter of the branch is big enough, use a hose (jubilee) clip
and tighten until the sap stops. *The vessels leaking the sap are just
below the bark, and compressing them with a clip shouldl stop the flow.

--

Jeff

Unfortunately the branch is only some 6mm dia and now only 6mm long.
My father was no gardener and had to employ the jubilee clip trick
when he had to try and deal with a long un-maintained vine when they
moved house once.

If needs be and it won't stop, I'll cut further back up the spur to do
that - in fact I don't really need to cut, just apply the jubilee
clip, tighten and accept the loss of the spur.

In 24 hours it's lost 120cc of fluid.

Rob- Hide quoted text -

I wonder if you can make Grape sap wine the same as you can make Birch
saop wine
http://www.rivercottage.net/recipes/...birch-sap-wine