Old 03-04-2011, 11:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Grapevine help - careless pruning

Can some one tell me what to do with what I know I must never do and
that is to cut into growing wood. Careless I know and I've been
maintaining two vine plants for over 10 years, but how do I stop it
leaking watery sap at really rather an alarming rate ?

I've tried CA glue, and special rubbery electrical tape to no avail.

Rob
Old 03-04-2011, 01:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 3 Apr 2011 03:57:53 -0700 (PDT), Rob G
wrote:

I've tried CA glue, and special rubbery electrical tape to no avail.

Well they use 'super Glue' to stop bleeding in hospital.
www.lincolnfuchsiasociety.info
Old 03-04-2011, 02:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

wrote:
I've tried CA glue, and special rubbery electrical tape to no avail.

Well they use 'super Glue' to stop bleeding in hospital.www.lincolnfuchsiasociety.info

Just leave it, it will stop on its own in a day or so.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Can some one tell me what to do with what I know I must never do and
that is to cut into growing wood. Careless I know and I've been
maintaining two vine plants for over 10 years, but how do I stop it
leaking watery sap at really rather an alarming rate ?

I've tried CA glue, and special rubbery electrical tape to no avail.

Rob

If some drastic solution is needed, try dripping some candle wax
carefully on the end of the stem (if it's horizontal, have a knife
handy to press the wax over the "wound" before it sets). The wax
should stay on long enough to seal the stem end but then break off
naturally. Only warning is that you need to make sure that wax doesn't
get onto buds/growing shoots - for a second or so it's very hot!
Old 03-04-2011, 02:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/03/2011 12:57 PM, Rob G wrote:
Can some one tell me what to do with what I know I must never do and
that is to cut into growing wood. Careless I know and I've been
maintaining two vine plants for over 10 years, but how do I stop it
leaking watery sap at really rather an alarming rate ?

I've tried CA glue, and special rubbery electrical tape to no avail.

Cauterize. I've done it with a red-hot poker from the fire, does the
trick although advisable to proceed with caution...

-E

Old 03-04-2011, 05:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rob G wrote:
Can some one tell me what to do with what I know I must never do and
that is to cut into growing wood. Careless I know and I've been
maintaining two vine plants for over 10 years, but how do I stop it
leaking watery sap at really rather an alarming rate ?

I've tried CA glue, and special rubbery electrical tape to no avail.

Just for the future grapevines ideally should be pruned early January,
but no later than mid February, as you can see why.

Old 03-04-2011, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 03/04/2011 11:57, Rob G wrote:
Can some one tell me what to do with what I know I must never do and
that is to cut into growing wood. Careless I know and I've been
maintaining two vine plants for over 10 years, but how do I stop it
leaking watery sap at really rather an alarming rate ?

I've tried CA glue, and special rubbery electrical tape to no avail.

Rob

If the diameter of the branch is big enough, use a hose (jubilee) clip
and tighten until the sap stops. The vessels leaking the sap are just
below the bark, and compressing them with a clip shouldl stop the flow.

--

Jeff
Old 04-04-2011, 11:47 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Booth Snr[_3_] View Post
Rob G wrote:
Can some one tell me what to do with what I know I must never do and
that is to cut into growing wood. Careless I know and I've been
maintaining two vine plants for over 10 years, but how do I stop it
leaking watery sap at really rather an alarming rate ?

I've tried CA glue, and special rubbery electrical tape to no avail.

Just for the future grapevines ideally should be pruned early January,
but no later than mid February, as you can see why.
Although summer pruning is a common practice in the vineyard, this mostly consists of removing leaves and extreme green shoots, which don't seem to bleed.

I'm rather worried about my grapevine seeming to start coming to life now after the mild March. There is still a risk of nasty frosts.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 3, 5:00*pm, Frank Booth Snr wrote:
Rob G wrote:
Can some one tell me what to do with what I know I must never do and
that is to cut into growing wood. *Careless I know and I've been
maintaining two vine plants for over 10 years, but how do I stop it
leaking watery sap at really rather an alarming rate ?

I've tried CA glue, and special rubbery electrical tape to no avail.

Just for the future grapevines ideally should be pruned early January,
but no later than mid February, as you can see why.

Umm - I did say I knew not to do it, but was trimming back some old
wood and got this little piece wrong.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 3, 5:37*pm, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 03/04/2011 11:57, Rob G wrote:

Can some one tell me what to do with what I know I must never do and
that is to cut into growing wood. *Careless I know and I've been
maintaining two vine plants for over 10 years, but how do I stop it
leaking watery sap at really rather an alarming rate ?

I've tried CA glue, and special rubbery electrical tape to no avail.

Rob

If the diameter of the branch is big enough, use a hose (jubilee) clip
and tighten until the sap stops. *The vessels leaking the sap are just
below the bark, and compressing them with a clip shouldl stop the flow.

--

Jeff

Unfortunately the branch is only some 6mm dia and now only 6mm long.
My father was no gardener and had to employ the jubilee clip trick
when he had to try and deal with a long un-maintained vine when they
moved house once.

If needs be and it won't stop, I'll cut further back up the spur to do
that - in fact I don't really need to cut, just apply the jubilee
clip, tighten and accept the loss of the spur.

In 24 hours it's lost 120cc of fluid.

Rob

Old 04-04-2011, 02:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 03/04/2011 11:57, Rob G wrote:

[...]

Rob- Hide quoted text -

I wonder if you can make Grape sap wine the same as you can make Birch
saop wine
http://www.rivercottage.net/recipes/...birch-sap-wine
Old 05-04-2011, 01:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/04/2011 11:59, Rob G wrote:
On Apr 3, 5:37 pm, Jeff wrote:
On 03/04/2011 11:57, Rob G wrote:

[...]

Why not use Jeff's great idea, but apply a tight plant twist instead?

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 09-04-2011, 10:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 3, 11:57*am, Rob G wrote:
Can some one tell me what to do with what I know I must never do and
that is to cut into growing wood. *Careless I know and I've been
maintaining two vine plants for over 10 years, but how do I stop it
leaking watery sap at really rather an alarming rate ?

I've tried CA glue, and special rubbery electrical tape to no avail.

Rob

Just to close this off and report for anyone else finding this thread.

Many thanks to those that contributed. After about three days the
dripping really ceased, but in that time some 200cc of fluid were
lost. It's now 6 days since my carelessness and I took off the
tightly wrapped finder stall and some self bonding tape and all was
dry. I doubt really if my attempts at stemming the flow had any
influence - this was predicted !

The 'twig' I cut was only some 6mm in diameter - if it had been larger
no doubt the fluid flow would have been more extensive and I think the
hose clip 'tourniquet' would have been required.

Rob
Old 10-04-2011, 05:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

On Sat, 9 Apr 2011 14:34:42 -0700 (PDT), Rob G
wrote:

On Apr 3, 11:57*am, Rob G wrote:
[...]

Just heard GQT on Radio 4 dealing with this very subject. The gist
seemed to be a) don't worry, or b) prune vines in November -- which I
took to mean while they're fully dormant, so I can't see why December
wouldn't be OK. Undamaged vines will sometimes drip sap from the tips
of leaves: that's not a worry, either.

--
Mike.

Discuss hypotheses proposes for seedlessness inheritance in grapevine Ramón Pérez Plant Science 1 10-10-2003 12:02 AM
Grapevine 'tree' JennyC United Kingdom 6 21-09-2003 11:03 AM
Grapevine Stuart Meier United Kingdom 2 05-09-2003 04:12 PM
Grapevine Stuart Meier United Kingdom 0 05-09-2003 06:32 AM
grapevine Paul Taylor United Kingdom 4 17-06-2003 11:23 PM