Old 05-04-2011, 09:57 AM
echinosum echinosum is offline
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeble View Post
Thank you for your reply, I may well take your advice, because I can see some small berries growing, so I may have to wait until about June until they have gone. Thanks again
The berries on Arbutus unedo mature in the autumn. The flowers also occur in the autumn. Sometimes they can both be there at the same time. Arbutus berries can be eaten when ripe, but most people don't find them tasty enough to bother. It is more or less impossible to prune the tree without removing some flower buds/flowers/berries, as there is always at least one of these on the tree. Though I won't have any berries on mine this year as they were all killed by frost over the winter.

There are other kinds of Arbutus commonly grown, such as Arbutus x menziesii which have somewhat different timing.