Old 20-04-2003, 06:20 AM
jduprie

Default Potting plants in tanks with UGF?

great! thanks.. You're right - the tank I did back "in the day" were small -
I think the biggest was a 30 or so. I had figured I'd have to go with low
light plants, and I was aware of the difference in height, I just didn't
know if the height of the 125 and the "generic" grow light combination would
work. guess I'll give it a try and see....

thanks again
--JD

"LeighMo" wrote in message
I'm planning a fairly simple (low tech) approach. I plan to put some good
grow-lites (full spectrum) in the existing hood, and hoping to acoid any
really complex lighting. About 20 years ago, I had decent success with
planted tanks (no CO2, no fancy lights, basic filtration, and a good
community of "tropical fish". I'm pretty much planing to go down the same
road..... Any comments on low-tech panted tanks?

How big were your planted tanks 20 years ago?

I would guess they weren't 125 gallons. A 125 is deep, almost 2'. It's
unlikely the standard lighting will be enough to grow anything except

low-light
plants.

OTOH, if you stick with low-light plants, you won't have to worry about

potting
them. Low-light plants like java fern and anubias are perfectly fine tied

rock or driftwood.

Leigh