Old 10-04-2011, 05:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle[_1_] Mike Lyle[_1_] is offline
Registered User

Default Grapevine help - careless pruning

On Sat, 9 Apr 2011 14:34:42 -0700 (PDT), Rob G
wrote:

On Apr 3, 11:57*am, Rob G wrote:
Can some one tell me what to do with what I know I must never do and
that is to cut into growing wood. *Careless I know and I've been
maintaining two vine plants for over 10 years, but how do I stop it
leaking watery sap at really rather an alarming rate ?

I've tried CA glue, and special rubbery electrical tape to no avail.

Rob

Just to close this off and report for anyone else finding this thread.

Many thanks to those that contributed. After about three days the
dripping really ceased, but in that time some 200cc of fluid were
lost. It's now 6 days since my carelessness and I took off the
tightly wrapped finder stall and some self bonding tape and all was
dry. I doubt really if my attempts at stemming the flow had any
influence - this was predicted !

The 'twig' I cut was only some 6mm in diameter - if it had been larger
no doubt the fluid flow would have been more extensive and I think the
hose clip 'tourniquet' would have been required.

Just heard GQT on Radio 4 dealing with this very subject. The gist
seemed to be a) don't worry, or b) prune vines in November -- which I
took to mean while they're fully dormant, so I can't see why December
wouldn't be OK. Undamaged vines will sometimes drip sap from the tips
of leaves: that's not a worry, either.

--
Mike.