Old 20-04-2003, 06:20 AM
kush

Default Potting plants in tanks with UGF?

linda mar wrote...
How big of a clay pot did you use? don't plants get too rootbound in a

clay pot?

I use all different sizes, depending on the tank, depending on the plant.
Yes, the plants can get rootbound but, by that time, I should have taken
them up and separated them anyway. I just pulled apart a bunch of Sag.
subulata that was growing in a 10" pot. I ended up with enough to plant out
about two square feet (or sell to my LFS).

Usually I knock the bottom out of the pot anyway, so it's more like a
containment ring. In a UGF system water circulates throughout the gravel
which makes it difficult to use root tabs and such. The nice thing about
the pots, even without bottoms in them, is that they provide areas where the
flow is restricted and you can use special fertilizers and planting media.

kush